Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USA vs Canada

• 31-08-2020 4:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking after getting my degree in Media to perhaps find a job in the U.S. or Canada. Now, the former will definitely have more opportunities but the political instability of America as well as a lack of social supports scares me a bit. It's a shame because apart from the politics, racial issues, and healthcare, it's really a lovely country. Great scenery and good weather.

Another option is Canada but I've heard that it's very expensive and hard to immigrate to. Also the weather might put me off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Have you though about visas? Would you be going to the US on a graduate visa? That gives you a few years there right? I'd go for it, if you can afford it, as when would you get another chance to spend time in the US for a few years. You can get the 2 year Canadian visa then afterwards, and go there, then come back to Europe. Life's too short.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It's a shame because apart from the politics, racial issues, and healthcare, it's really a lovely country. Great scenery and good weather.

So just the big issues are a problem then.... you do realise you could say the same about.. Oh I don't Russia, China etc....

You need to check out the criteria needed to get a visa and you can expect that the competition will be very high because there will be lots of kids from all over the world with the same idea. A new graduate does not bring much to the table when it comes to employment exotically a foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

I've been thinking after getting my degree in Media to perhaps find a job in the U.S. or Canada. Now, the former will definitely have more opportunities but the political instability of America as well as a lack of social supports scares me a bit. It's a shame because apart from the politics, racial issues, and healthcare, it's really a lovely country. Great scenery and good weather.

Another option is Canada but I've heard that it's very expensive and hard to immigrate to. Also the weather might put me off.

Canada is very easy to emigrate to, you’ve got that the wrong way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Take into account a media degree won't have you on the top of anyone's list for employment in either country. Forget about a proper visa. Get a WH/temp/grad one. Or apply for a green card.

Advertisement