Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Posts into Concrete

Options
  • 31-08-2020 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to set some 6" posts into concrete for a tree house and maybe some fence posts.

I've had lots of issues in the past with posts breaking at ground level, and was wondering if anyone has used something like these:
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=6+inch+concrete+post+bracket&form=HDRSC3&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

I know they are popular in the US for decks and the like. Any recommendations on brands, types etc and where you got them?

I was also considering getting some galvanized 150mm box section and making my own (just shave the posts to fit down into the box).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,146 ✭✭✭✭looksee

These https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/browse/gate-fence-and-shed-hardware/fence-post-shoes are the most usual type you will find here (I am not recommending the supplier, just examples of the usual type available). They are fine, work well but the only issue seems to be the sizing. There was discussion on here about them a while ago and it seems that the sizes available and the usual timber sizes just don't match, so be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

150mm post shoe.

https://www.securallfastenings.ie/product/bolt-down-shoe-fence-supports-150mm-6-inch/

As looksee says, make sure your nominal 150mm timber is actually 150mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I get their advantges for decking, pergolas etc. but for a fence would there not be a concern around wind loads and the horizontal force on the base plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

For tree house you need the box section, IMO, any thing else is just too weak

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You need get the best qualit wood you can get, oak or ash and put the part in the ground in a barrell wuth the bit in the ground steeped i used oil for a time.
    Then make up the concrete art home with gravel/cement and turn forever before adding water, add water slowly until it has a consistance of brown sugar, i think in the trade it may be called (dry mix)
    Pack in tightly with stick around posts in dry weather.
    The idea is when it sets it be porous so the water will pass through into soil.
    The problem with regular concrete water is trapped at top of concrete.

Idioteque wrote: »
    I get their advantges for decking, pergolas etc. but for a fence would there not be a concern around wind loads and the horizontal force on the base plate?

True - I could definitely see this being an issue for a picket style fence

You need get the best qualit wood you can get, oak or ash and put the part in the ground in a barrell wuth the bit in the ground steeped i used oil for a time.
    Then make up the concrete art home with gravel/cement and turn forever before adding water, add water slowly until it has a consistance of brown sugar, i think in the trade it may be called (dry mix)

If it’s porous - is frost a concern?

If you need extra strength, don't put the post in the concrete, put the steel in the concrete. You need to be able to inspect the post for rot, which you can't do if it's buried.

Simpson are excellent, they have standoff bases to ensure the bottom of the post is drained.

https://www.strongtie.com/postbases_capsandbases/category

You need get the best qualit wood you can get, oak or ash and put the part in the ground in a barrell wuth the bit in the ground steeped i used oil for a time[/U].

So no thoughts on the pollution effects on ground water?

• Advertisement

So no thoughts on the pollution effects on ground water?

How would it effect the water?

How would it effect the water?

Used engine oil is mutagenic and carcinogenic, and has serious effects on aquatic life, and human life if it gets into the water supply, e.g. via a neighbour's well.

Lumen wrote: »
    Used engine oil is mutagenic and carcinogenic, and has serious effects on aquatic life, and human life if it gets into the water supply, e.g. via a neighbour's well.

I know all of that, if we did as you suggest we all have candles in our housed and no electricity, this is more or less the process used on electric poles.

All i suggested is steep the ends in barrell of oil for a week, let it dry in before setting in ground.
    Most people know water will not wash off oil dried into wood so has absolutely no effect on anything.
    Maybe we should cut down electric poles...

I know all of that, if we did as you suggest we all have candles in our housed and no electricity, this is more or less the process used on electric poles.

All i suggested is steep the ends in barrell of oil for a week, let it dry in before setting in ground.
    Most people know water will not wash off oil dried into wood so has absolutely no effect on anything.

Sure, everyone finds way to excuse their own bad behaviour, I'm not going to bother attempting to change your mind.

In any case it's not an electricity pole being installed, it's posts for a tree house. The safest solution is a post shoe into concrete, there's no advantage to putting the post into the ground.

As far as fence posts are concerned, I just got mine hammered into the ground with a digger-mounted post driver, which won't last forever but is relatively cheap on materials and labour. They'll rot eventually and I'll replace them, no harm done.

The fact that you even store used engine oil in a barrel.

The language is interesting: oil drying into wood.

Advertisement