Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a heavy duty petrol gardening.. thing?

Options
  • 31-08-2020 3:13pm

Hi folks,

I do a bit of DIY here and there. Usually pottering around the house, and there's a good friend of mine that does general handyman work that I help out when I'm not working or if he's doing something I'm interested in.

Was helping him at a house and a fella that was there that knows him runs a management company for the estate he was in. We got talking, and he put a job offer out to my friend, but my friend has no interest, as he's busy enough as he is.

So he put it to me, and it genuinely takes my interest. Pretty much, the management company spruce up houses for estate agents, sellers, etc. and a few of the houses they sell are either left lying for a while, or have tenants who never cared for the place.

He has someone that does the 'inside jobs' and he is stretched, so he's looking for someone to do the 'outside jobs' (by this he hinted at cutting grass, strimming, cutting back hedges, general tidying up etc.)

So I'm definitely interested as it seems like fairly easy work, once you've the right tool/s to do it. My initial thinking is that if you had a proper, heavy duty (ie; not an Argos special) strimmer, you'd be halfway there.

Problem I have is that I don't really know where to start in how to pick a good strimmer, or what to look for. It'd be tackling grass that could potentially be wet, badly overgrown, etc.

Before I jump in head-first, I figured I'd ask here if anyone had any recommendations of such stuff, or even just general hints or tips that might be worth taking into consideration..? The kinda money being mentioned (approx €120 per house) makes it seem like you'd be working on volume, and just trying to get a few houses done in a day, trying to limit your time at each to just an hour or two, so you'd need to have a strimmer that doesn't have the cord snapping every three minutes, for example)

Apologies for the rambling post.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

From my experience you would want to go for a 30cc plus strimmer, ideally you could just use a heavy duty nylon line head but if the grass/weeds are particularly heavy then a blade is a better bet.
    Do you need to remove the grass afterwards or can you leave it in place?
    The reason is that there are blades that mulch better than others.
    If you want to go left field a bit think about a battery strimmer, they are much quieter but need a lot of batteries if you are knocking out a lot of work.
    The plus side is that being so quiet you can start earlier if noise is a problem.
    TLDR; a 35cc strimmer petrol with a heavy duty nylon line head running Oregon flexiblade will cut heavy stuff all day long.
    Bullhorn or D handle will depend on your personal preference.
    I like bullhorns but they are bulky and not everyone likes that.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    From my experience you would want to go for a 30cc plus strimmer, ideally you could just use a heavy duty nylon line head but if the grass/weeds are particularly heavy then a blade is a better bet.
    Do you need to remove the grass afterwards or can you leave it in place?
    The reason is that there are blades that mulch better than others.
    If you want to go left field a bit think about a battery strimmer, they are much quieter but need a lot of batteries if you are knocking out a lot of work.
    The plus side is that being so quiet you can start earlier if noise is a problem.
    TLDR; a 35cc strimmer petrol with a heavy duty nylon line head running Oregon flexiblade will cut heavy stuff all day long.
    Bullhorn or D handle will depend on your personal preference.
    I like bullhorns but they are bulky and not everyone likes that.

Cheers for the reply. Much appreciated.

Grass can be left on-site, but would likely need to be piled in a corner or around the back of the house, to just ensure that it looks decent/tidy from the front.

Mulching would be good but not entirely necessary, I don't think. I think I'd prefer the kind of known reliability of a petrol strimmer. Charging batteries up and such would make it a lot more of a headache, and if this whole thing falls apart fairly swiftly, i think I'd sell a petrol one on a lot handier.

I'll have to go and google the terminology (D and Bullhorn handles, for example). Is it generally worth picking stuff like this up second hand? Or is it best to stick with new gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'll have to go and google the terminology (D and Bullhorn handles, for example). Is it generally worth picking stuff like this up second hand? Or is it best to stick with new gear?

With a D handle you can just pick the thing up and use it - fine for a garden with a little bit of rough say. Bullhorn need two hands on the handles, so you need the harness on - they are a lot less tiring to use though.

On your second point. These are pretty small engines and once that's gone the thing has generally had it. Personally, unless I knew the seller or machine I'd steer clear - unless you're Billy Wizz on small engines.

Have look at this guy - he knows his stuff (that's a D handle in the video).

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cheers for the reply. Much appreciated.

Grass can be left on-site, but would likely need to be piled in a corner or around the back of the house, to just ensure that it looks decent/tidy from the front.

Mulching would be good but not entirely necessary, I don't think. I think I'd prefer the kind of known reliability of a petrol strimmer. Charging batteries up and such would make it a lot more of a headache, and if this whole thing falls apart fairly swiftly, i think I'd sell a petrol one on a lot handier.

For tidying up I'd get a powerful leaf blower too, you dont want to be raking all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

WHAT SORT OF PL will u need if the strimmer drives a stone.... wherever

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

look at the Stihl combo range, more expensive but gives you the option to add a hedgecutter, chainsaw to the strimmer motor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Hire a strimmer for a day, and see how you get on, stihl and oleo-mac, are good machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Yes, Stihl are definitely a good brand, but be careful.
    If you are buying a model for a couple of hundred, it is probably a DIY machine which won't be built to the same standard as a commercial use machine.. it'll be weaker in every respect and won't last near as long.

A commercial grade Stihl will eat up anything you can throw at it, will tear through the toughest of undergrowth and it'll be a far more sturdier built and will almost definitely last a lifetime with the type of work you will be doing with it.
    However, it'll probably cost North of €2000 at the very least. But you must remember that even though both types look the same, they are a different machine, built to different standards of robustness and quality and are intended for different jobs.

The €200 models are intended for occasional use, an hour or two on the odd weekend around your back garden. Life is probably a couple of hundred hours of use at the most. Parts availability will be hit or miss.
    The €2000 models are built to run all day, everyday in commercial settings, tackling heaving work. Parts will be guaranteed available for many years.

Also remember that is this don't work out, there is very little second hand market for DIY grade machines.
    A second hand commercial machine will sell much easier, there will always be a demand for those from landscapers and gardeners.

People have got caught out before buying big brand chainsaws that seem great value. Husqvarnad or Stihls for a few hundred. Then they find that it is not near as good quality as what they'd expect from that brand. They have bought the cheap DIY grade version.

A lot of big name manufacturers seem to have started offering downgraded, mediocre quality cheaper models over the last 10 or 15 years aimed at the occasional use DIY market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Stihl is what proffesionals use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Stihl is what proffesionals use

Yes they are, that is good they made their name with their professional machinery.

but other manufacturers, they have over the last 15 years or so started offering cheap, less robust machines aimed at the DIY market for occasional use.

When looking at models read the literature and ask the salesman whether the model you are looking at is a DIY grade or commercial grade.
    The price should give you an idea. If it looks like an amazing deal for a professional machine, it probably is a DIY machine.

A lot of the cheaper machines aren't even made my the named manufacturers. They are designed and made by some other crowd under contract and stihl or whoever put their name to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Always Stihl

Does`nt matter whether chainsaw, leafblower, brushcutter, strimmer,hedgetrimmer, multitool

only 1 brand

The rest are amateur

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i will be surprised if you get paid 120
    you should think 40

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Always Stihl

Does`nt matter whether chainsaw, leafblower, brushcutter, strimmer,hedgetrimmer, multitool

only 1 brand

The rest are amateur
    Take the blinkers off, there are plenty of good brands other than Stihl.
    They have good marketing and a decent pro range but there are plenty of manufacturers that make as good or better products.

I appreciate all the replies, folks. Can anyone recommend somewhere to pick up this kinda stuff?

Online is always handy, but I'm open to shopping at physical stores, aswell (but if so, preferably based in Dublin/Louth/Cavan/Monaghan/Meath).

Also, assuming I wanted to do some pressure washing, too.. why is it so difficult to find portable water tanks?!

I presume something like this would do the job (with a bit of hose to connect it to a washer):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-food-grade-container-Rectangular-collection/dp/B08CRW2RRM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=portable%2Bwater%2Btank&qid=1598912016&s=outdoors&sr=1-3&th=1

And can anyone tell me, does this 'to get' list look about right?

Strimmer
    Hedge Cutter
    Pressure Washer
    Water Tank
    Leaf Blower (in lieu of a rake, etc. as mentioned above)
    Misc PPE (visor, ear muffs, gloves, etc.)

Then I presume you'd need oil (do they all take the same kinda oil?), petrol containers and petrol itself, and you're away..?

KKV then you'd need a pressure washer that will draw its own water from a tank rather than from mains pressure?

Also will that 150 Ltr tank, just sit on the back of your truck?

You're not planning on mowing the grass?

Different oil. The small engine stuff needs 2 str, the bigger stuffneeds its own lube.

Purgative wrote: »
    KKV then you'd need a pressure washer that will draw its own water from a tank rather than from mains pressure?

I was always under the impression that the tap being on the bottom of a bottle/barrel/whatever, meant that the weight of the water would push it into the pressure washer and keep it going?

Also will that 150 Ltr tank, just sit on the back of your truck?

You're not planning on mowing the grass?

I was gonna get a 150ltr or so one, and stick it in the boot of the car (estate car, so plenty of space and should take the weight handy enough).

Wasn't gonna mow, as most of the grass would be overgrown and a lawnmower is hassle. I have a small garden at the front of my own house, and I strim it instead of mowing, and it looks alright.

The maintenance I'd be doing isn't "real" maintenance, it's mostly just so the place looks nice in a photo or two when they present them to estate agents etc. (ie; i wouldnt be returning to the property a 2nd time to do the lawn and such whenever someone wanted to do a viewing, or to keep the maintenance at a certain level - it'd be a one-off, Estate Agent would take his photos, and Id never see the house again.. all going well).

Although it is starting to seem like it could be a bit more hassle than I am, perhaps naively, assuming.

I was always under the impression that the tap being on the bottom of a bottle/barrel/whatever, meant that the weight of the water would push it into the pressure washer and keep it going?

Maybe it would. If not though it would knacker the pressure washer. You'd have a fall of about 18" or so? Someone smarter would be able to tell you. We have an old Karcher (12 years old) and we don't use it when the pressure is low (not that infrequent in the west). Maybe we're being over cautious.

I was gonna get a 150ltr or so one, and stick it in the boot of the car (estate car, so plenty of space and should take the weight handy enough).
    I would think so.

Although it is starting to seem like it could be a bit more hassle than I am, perhaps naively, assuming
    Is there anyway that you could "grow into it"? Maybe start with a decent strimmer and cover other things as they come up. Like use shears on the hedge until it becomes a thing.

I would go to a hire place and see if they are selling off some end of season stuff.
    Commercial grade stuff will be fine second hand usually.
    Look for a split shaft machine and you might get a hedge clipper attachment for it as well as the strimmer.
    There are also blower attachments for some of them as well, not sure how well they work.
    Secondhand stuff will allow you to try it out without going to the expense of a brand new setup and if it doesn't work out you aren't out a whole lot.
    A decent grass rake, strimmer and hedge clippers will do most of what you need to do.
    Hire a powerwasher if you need one.
    Start small and work out what you require not what you think you might need.

Folks, I don't think this is gonna work out for me. Between my 'normal' job and taking this on, i reckon it might be a bit difficult for me to get stuck into.

That said.. if any of ye are in the north east (a lot of the work will be dublin based) and have enough gear that you reckon you could do it, feel free to PM me and I can put your details across to the chap hiring. It's all above board, though, so no cash-in-hand stuff.

You'd need your own tools/transport, but I've seen some of the properties and they don't need a lot of work doing to them. Pressure washing seems to be the most difficult thing to get started up with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement