Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in a group of 3

Options
  • 31-08-2020 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi all, i'm just wondering on your thoughts on above, how would you cycle in a group of 3?
    I'm well aware that cycling 3 abreast is illegal but what i'm wondering is, would you cycle with 2 up front and 1 in behind, 1 up front and 2 behind or would you go 3 in a row? Or does it even matter?
    It's not exactly group riding but i'm wondering is there etiquette to follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Hi all, i'm just wondering on your thoughts on above, how would you cycle in a group of 3?
    I'm well aware that cycling 3 abreast is illegal but what i'm wondering is, would you cycle with 2 up front and 1 in behind, 1 up front and 2 behind or would you go 3 in a row? Or does it even matter?
    It's not exactly group riding but i'm wondering is there etiquette to follow.

Two in front, one behind. And rotate, so everybody gets a chance to shelter at the back.
    Of course, it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yup - 2 in front.

(In saying that, if it's a particularly busy road, I'd go single file if there were only 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Rider at the back should cycle behind and between the two riders in front! This is important as it gives the illusion to drivers that we are cycling 3 and 4 abreast or cycling “all over the whole road”! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Brand_New

It depends on the road and conditions.

2 abreast is safer and forces cars to wait until it is safe to cross the median before they overtake.

Single up and let any cars past once in a while when it is safe to do so.

Advertisement