Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for restricting door opening

Options
  • 31-08-2020 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi, I have a query with regard to my living room layout. I have an internal door which opens inwards and at the moment can almost open 160 degrees. I am putting a tv/radiator cover unit along that wall, to cover a radiator, and if i do nothing the door will bang off it when swung open.

One option would be to change the door to open in the other direction. the only problem is that the light switch would be behind the door then. The walls are concrete block so dont want the trouble of chasing switch to the other side. Maybe i go with a smart bulb for that room.

Another option would be to put a door stop on the floor. However i am a bit confused here - it is a floating floor and the instructions for these door stops say to fix to the concrete below. Surely this will affect the floor movement and cause issues? I have seen magnetic door stops that sit flush with the floor and only protrude as the door passes over it. but again not sure this can be used with a floating floor.

Another thing i have seen is the hinge restrictors which can be adjusted to limit the door opening. But reading reviews it seems they damage the architrave. Also they dont look great.

If anyone could give me another idea that would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wench

Would a free standing weighted door stop like this do the trick?
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dome-weight-door-stop-satin-stainless-steel/44030

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Put a short rubber door stop on the skirting appropriately close to the hinge point.

Literally a single screw in to the skirting at floor level.

You should get such a door stop in any hardware store and try it without screw to get best position.
    Make sure to allow for it being compressed slightly if someone opens the door forcibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

I use free standing weighted door stops like the one linked in the post above - LIDL often do them, larger ones that the one linked.

Advertisement