Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipless pedals recommendation

Options
  • 30-08-2020 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am getting my first set of clipless pedals for my road bike. I am looking at two pedal types - Shimano M520 and Look Keo classic. The M520 are double sided SPD mountain bike pedals. I am tempted to go for these based on reviews, but just wondering if anyone uses these pedals for road cycling and if they will work for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The type of pedal also determines the type of shoe you need. Mountain bike shoes have the cleat recessed into the sole, so it's easier to walk in the shoe when off the bike. Road shoes have the cleat sticking out more from the base of the shoe, which makes it harder to walk - especially on wooden / tiled floors.
    Road pedals will be wider to give more area of contact and be more comfortable on longer rides - not that MTB pedals are uncomfortable.
    People use both types on road bikes depending on what use they have. A lot of commuters use MTB pedals so they can walk easily once they are off the bike, so it's really up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

What triggermortis said.

I use the m520 on my road bike, with specialized body comp shoes because I started using clips as an mtber and I like having everything the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I use the Keo Look clipless on my road bike. They're easy to clip in and out of, mine have been on my cycling shoes for four years (and I do at least 4 spins a week) and they're lasting well but as others said, you have to be very careful walking on tiled and wooden floors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

SPDs have worked fine for me too. Did 150 on Saturday with foot discomfort...it's more about shoe fit and sole stiffness, I think.
    Never had 3-hole shoes - just seem such a faff off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've SPD-SL on my good road bike (and turbo bike). I have SPD on the commuter, gravel and winter bike (as I have winter SPD boots). I've done long days on gravel and winter bike without issue.

Without recessed cleats, I find SPD-SL easier to clip in than spd's though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Brand_New

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've SPD-SL on my good road bike (and turbo bike). I have SPD on the commuter, gravel and winter bike (as I have winter SPD boots). I've done long days on gravel and winter bike without issue.

Without recessed cleats, I find SPD-SL easier to clip in than spd's though.

Do you notice the extra wide platform on the SPD-SL or is it a non factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I haven't noticed, but that's not to say there's not a difference. A lot of my spd cycling last year was with the winter boots (as I've circulation issues), and they are pretty stiff soles to be honest. I'd say so much is shoe fit, sole of the shoe, even bike fit as well as cleat.

Also depends on how confident you are. You will fall over by forgetting to clip out either way, but it's easier to clip in with SPD's with a recessed sole. Don't discount that if you're in an urban environment where you can't faff (which also will still sometimes happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TSS GFC

Look are a very narrow pedal and if youre "coming from" playing field based sports you'd be better on Shimano spd wider cleat better for stroke position.. have a look at your knee position in relation to the crossbar and see what way they travel to give you an idea..
    I started on Look no bother for years but changed to Shimano after paying for a fitting and it was a big improvement.

Advertisement