Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPL Twitter

Options
  • 30-08-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,087 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to follow some smart individuals who talk FPL on Twitter.

Feel free to post yours or post any good ones that are actually useful.

Ideally, not people whose twitter handle is FPL followed by some form of profession or animal, and who will proceed to try to charge you 10 euro to let you know that Trent is a great option this year at that price, or their 5 differentials of the week.

I will start with a guy who does a a weekly GW thread full of insight with the numbers to back it up.

www.twitter.com/BigManBakar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Lateriser is probably one of the best FPL players there is, has been first in India twice
    https://twitter.com/lateriser12?s=21

Owen Kinnear I think is excellent, Irish lad I think
    https://twitter.com/OwenKinnearFPL?s=21

Neil Murray
    https://twitter.com/roneildinho?s=21

Az, Andy and Luke are my favourites from FFScout
    https://twitter.com/ffscout_az?s=21
    https://twitter.com/LetsTalk_FPL?s=21
    https://twitter.com/ffscout_luke?s=21

FPL General is ok. I find him a bit reactionary on his podcast but can’t argue with 3x top 500 finishes
    https://twitter.com/FPLGeneral?s=21

Ben Dinnery for team news
    https://twitter.com/BenDinnery?s=21

Ben Crellin for fixture analysis
    https://twitter.com/BenCrellin?s=21

It’s ruining FPL to a degree.

Have a few things I’ve noticed/wanted to do (for lack of a better way of putting it) with my team and over the last few weeks I’ve seen a lot of my ideas shared on twitter.

Now I know it’s people sharing their own ideas (ones I share) but when it’s shared on that level it just makes the game so much harder.

People reacting to people and copying rather than forming their own opinions. It leads to the template thing and just makes things very very samey.

A simple example would be TAA this year. Will be in most teams even though the idea of a 7.5m defender, maybe a few years ago, would have been a no no. Certainly not owned to the extent that he is now and it makes him a dead player in your team.

Twitter has made decisions like this less fun. There’s a million joe soaps that wouldn’t have dreamed of spending 7.5m on him that currently own him.

All the above opinions are mine and I know they are unpopular opinions. Hey, I’m unpopular.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,087 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It’s ruining FPL to a degree.

Have a few things I’ve noticed/wanted to do (for lack of a better way of putting it) with my team and over the last few weeks I’ve seen a lot of my ideas shared on twitter.

Now I know it’s people sharing their own ideas (ones I share) but when it’s shared on that level it just makes the game so much harder.

People reacting to people and copying rather than forming their own opinions. It leads to the template thing and just makes things very very samey.

A simple example would be TAA this year. Will be in most teams even though the idea of a 7.5m defender, maybe a few years ago, would have been a no no. Certainly not owned to the extent that he is now and it makes him a dead player in your team.

Twitter has made decisions like this less fun. There’s a million joe soaps that wouldn’t have dreamed of spending 7.5m on him that currently own him.

All the above opinions are mine and I know they are unpopular opinions. Hey, I’m unpopular.
    I would largely agree.

But to do the decent things a recommend someone on twitter ?

I don’t use it. I don’t follow anyone. It’s my only hope I may get an advantage.

There are a couple of exceptions.

I did follow Rockstar but don’t think he’ll be as good this year but that said I’ve a small feeling the extra half hour won’t kill him off but I hope it does.

The reason I joined Twitter was Ben Dinnery. He’s not fantastic but he’s good enough to follow.

I’ve had to retweet and follow a few to be ‘allowed’ to enter leagues. Hopefully I’m also allowed to unfollow them and still be in their leagues.

Would also follow Susanna Hoffs if she didn’t have the restraining order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

CSF wrote: »
    I will start with a guy who does a a weekly GW thread full of insight with the numbers to back it up.

www.twitter.com/BigManBakar

I think he's the best by far, I always read his weekly reviews.

I wouldn't be looking to follow too mnay fpl accounts, sometimes less is more. A lot of them are boring recycled crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Markx

(Just reread the below - it's pretty incoherent nonsense but I'll press Submit Replay anyway :) )

The biggest change in FPL since I've started playing a long time ago is the availability of information. In the beginning knowing football and what you were looking at was what determined the good players.
    Now everything is known and clearly laid out so you can do reasonably well without knowing the game or indeed watching a match. I'm sure you can now win FPL and not have a clue about football at all. FPL Twitter enables that.

This summer FPL Twitter is all about monetisation and it's a sad thing to observe. 'They' have been getting 'content' 'out there' ridiculously early and encouraging a frenzy of drafts at a point when it was entirely pointless to do so all so money can be grabbed. There is a lot of snake oil on sale. Also, the constant spamming of referral codes is a curse.

In summary I would say there are not a lot of prominent tweeters that are tweeting just because they like playing FPL and want to chat about it, rather they are angling to make a buck somehow. It's noise and while it may inform you of facts, it will cause you to make worse decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Markx

Since CSF's objective here was to find some good accounts rather than elicit rants about Twitter I will advocate for the following account. Not one of the shills :)
    https://twitter.com/rogue_wee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

But to do the decent things a recommend someone on twitter ?

I don’t use it. I don’t follow anyone. It’s my only hope I may get an advantage.

There are a couple of exceptions.

I did follow Rockstar but don’t think he’ll be as good this year but that said I’ve a small feeling the extra half hour won’t kill him off but I hope it does.

The reason I joined Twitter was Ben Dinnery. He’s not fantastic but he’s good enough to follow.

I’ve had to retweet and follow a few to be ‘allowed’ to enter leagues. Hopefully I’m also allowed to unfollow them and still be in their leagues.

Would also follow Susanna Hoffs if she didn’t have the restraining order.

Like this I only joined twitter at all for Dinnery.

FPL twitter is a weird, immature and messed up place. As is the rest of Twitter I guess.

But so many of the @xxxxFPL gang take themselves so seriously, and theres a huge degree of noise - tweeting regurgitated points of view for the sake of saying something. And lots of silly rows!

I participated in it a bit a few years ago when I was at my deepest into FPL, and was publishing a few articles etc on FFPundits and for that short lived magazine thing.

FPL Twitter was always a head wreck. Some proper edjits. I dip into it every season around now to promote the Harps league and its genuinely getting worse every year.

It's best avoided IMO, but if youre going to board that bus, heres a few who are worth following, yous have pretty much called some of the best already. @bigmanbakar is a genuinely good guy who really really knows his stuff. When I was "in" i was part of an FPL WhatsApp group he ran for a season. It's still going I believe.

@lateriser12 (who won the Harps league last year) was in it too, and a load of other very serious players from around the globe. Another who was in that group and well worth a follow is @zophar666, and @jkisthe1 is a good skin too.

Others I've interacted with over the years that I'd have good time for include:
    @utterlyTc
    @alexwaterbaby
    @FPLStatto
    @math_safe (nice guy but seems to have given up FPL this year)
    @InfernoSix

Also there a a few good club specific people. @lucyhignett is very knowledgable and helpful about Southampton.
    @_FPLFox ok for Leicester questions.
    Think there were others but cant remember.

Finally, I just love this guy.......
    @aguerosergiokun :)

PS. Baker, Laterriser and Zophar are doing some kind of podcast, which will be worth a listen if you're into your podcasts.

Not sure where it is yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I got in a disagreement with Ben Crellin last year, very civil, he posted something, I said I didn’t agree because of A, B, C. The amount of abuse I got was ridiculous, basically how dare I question the FPL lord almighty. Up on 100 of these faceless fpl accounts. Crellin himself DM’d me to apologise

To call the place toxic is an understatement

It’s funny, I’ve a sister in law who is doing a self build and has set up a self build insta account and all these other self build people follow and share everything each other does. It’s exactly the same as the FPL twitter world where they are all following and retweeting each other.

If any of ye ever win the thing outright I hope ye don’t ruin it here by telling people about it, imagine the influx of clowns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I think he's the best by far, I always read his weekly reviews.

I wouldn't be looking to follow too mnay fpl accounts, sometimes less is more. A lot of them are boring recycled crap.

Agree, on a large un-following spree with them at the moment

Advertisement