Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to reseed bog

Options
  • 30-08-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

I am based in the west. I have 7 acres of bog sprayed off. I was thinking of leaving it until spring to seed it as we will more than likely get rain and water will lying on the ground and kill off the grass. Would you you seed it now or wait till spring. I will need this ground in producing grads by May.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

cacs wrote: »
    I am based in the west. I have 7 acres of bog sprayed off. I was thinking of leaving it until spring to seed it as we will more than likely get rain and water will lying on the ground and kill off the grass. Would you you seed it now or wait till spring. I will need this ground in producing grads by May.

Get seed in if you can, long time from now till may and no guarantee you will get any better weather next spring...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Have you looked into the economics etc. of what you are doing?? - it looks increasingly likely that "recently reclaimed" bogland will lose its SFP under the new CAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Get seed in if you can, long time from now till may and no guarantee you will get any better weather next spring...

Good advice thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Just reseeded 8 acres of bog today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Reggie. wrote: »

Is that boggy ground or peat ?what seed do you sow in bog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭amacca

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Have you looked into the economics etc. of what you are doing?? - it looks increasingly likely that "recently reclaimed" bogland will lose its SFP under the new CAP.

interesting.......what about a field with a bit of bog on the margins, can they just change the goalposts like that?.....would there be any chance it would be for reseeds going forward?

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Is that boggy ground or peat ?what seed do you sow in bog

Well black soil. Alot of the soil around the midlands is peaty. Sowed top 5 extend.

amacca wrote: »
    interesting.......what about a field with a bit of bog on the margins, can they just change the goalposts like that?.....would there be any chance it would be for reseeds going forward?

I'm sure they will have to pick a reference year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm sure they will have to pick a reference year

sons of bitches with their reference years

it wasnt long ago they were pressuring you to cut rushes on boggy ground or lose the payment ffs

what do you make of the top 5 extend on heavy ground btw?

I'm considering using mixed species sward on a field here with soft margins, I was told cotswolds have a minimum fertilser required mix ....bloody tempted i have to say

not into continuous rotations of fertiliser etc

used a premium grazing mix (with aston energy, drumbo etc) on a similar field 3 years ago and happy enough with it another field with a similar mix (higher drier and not heavy soil) is very hungry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

it wasnt long ago they were pressuring you to cut rushes on boggy ground or lose the payment ffs

I'm considering using mixed species sward on a field here with soft margins, I was told cotswolds have a minimum fertilser required mix ....bloody tempted i have to say

used a premium grazing mix (with aston energy, drumbo etc) on a similar field 3 years ago and happy enough with it another field with a similar mix (higher drier and not heavy soil) is very hungry

You'd be better off with the MSS in the dry hungry field, it won't do on black soil afaik.

The farmer picked the seed. I would have used agritech no 2. It's better suited to difficult souls.

Mixed species doesn't like wet fields

You'd be better off with the MSS in the dry hungry field, it won't do on black soil afaik.

I am going with multi species seed on the bog and it’s good wet brown bog not that dry black stuff. You can buy mss from McGuinness grass. I find first tom McGuinness first class for advice. He has a real in-depth knowledge of ground and seed. I am taking a punt on the Multispecies on bog but sure that’s half the crack.

McGuinness grass have a nine species multi species seed. Their mss would be more adapted for Irish solos than cotswold mss.

Always good advice reggie thanks

McGuinness grass have a nine species multi species seed. Their mss would be more adapted for Irish solos than cotswold mss.

I wouldn't be too sure, they've sainfoin in theirs, not sure why, I've never heard of being established successfully yet in this country.
    Also very high rates of chicory and plantain.
    Still a good mix though, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I wouldn't be too sure, they've sainfoin in theirs, not sure why, I've never heard of being established successfully yet in this country.
    Also very high rates of chicory and plantain.
    Still a good mix though, time will tell.

Why wouldn’t sainfoin grow well here Castle?

Why wouldn’t sainfoin grow well here Castle?

Likes alkaline drought prone soils such as chalk downs in the south of England, my too much of that around Hibernia! I know where it has failed hto establish in good tillage lands in the Pale so I'd question it's inclusion is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Would be slow to go at it now if its peaty, trying to get a bit of fertiliser and spray on a new seed next October is hard enough without it being bog. Spring is best for that sort of ground. Did it here last April and we've gotten 6 grazings off it so far and would still be grazing it only for it's gotten wet now, wouldn't fancy putting machinery on it in a months time..

Advertisement