Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame painting. - how much is a piece of string?

Options
  • 30-08-2020 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have any idea of a ballpark figure for a paint job on a carbon frame? Facebook often throws up lovely paint jobs on my feed and my first question is always - gosh I wonder how much that cost.
    I appreciate that there are many variables but I'd love to know what the price range is or can be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

fat bloke wrote: »
    Would anyone have any idea of a ballpark figure for a paint job on a carbon frame? Facebook often throws up lovely paint jobs on my feed and my first question is always - gosh I wonder how much that cost.
    I appreciate that there are many variables but I'd love to know what the price range is or can be.

450 ish. Try carbontec or mad clown. Assuming nothing too elaborate. Carbon needs a lot pf prep so its more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    450 ish. Try carbontec or mad clown. Assuming nothing too elaborate. Carbon needs a lot pf prep so its more expensive.

Yeah, it's not like a Colnago art deco piece or anything. Would be 2 colours probably and decals.

One frame is my wife's Cervelo R5. It's not that it's in sh1te nick, but it's been retired to the attic for a while and I thought a modern paintjob would give it a new lease of life - it's not worth selling cos you'd only be giving it away. The only value it has is in keeping it.

The other one was my own TCR. The generic Giant colours are uninspiring and it annoys me that some of the entry level defys and TCRs have virtually the same paint scheme.

Hard to justify a paint scheme in a lot of ways. -Paying for something that has absolutely no performance benefit, and also immediately devaluing your bike because no one will ever believe that you just changed colours for the laugh and not as a result of a crash and repair. Is 500 quid a worthwhile spend on a frame worth barely twice that? - That's a decision for the individual and his/her wallet I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is a little bit of cachet to be had being on a bike no one else has. If you did decide to go ahead with it, put a fake bike brand name on it, preferably something that sounds posh and Italian.

'ah yeah, it's a tortellini viennetta, I had to have it specially imported' gives you a line no one else can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭hesker

Any idea for cost on a steel frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hesker wrote: »
    Any idea for cost on a steel frame?
    I was talking to Lusk Doyle (of this parish) while marshaling a race a few days ago. He had a beautiful bike with him which I thought was new. Turns out it was a resprayed alu frame which was a good few years old. I was seriously impressed especially as he said cost €200 or €300 - forget which now. I can't imagine a steel being much different.

• Advertisement

There is a little bit of cachet to be had being on a bike no one else has. If you did decide to go ahead with it, put a fake bike brand name on it, preferably something that sounds posh and Italian.

'ah yeah, it's a tortellini viennetta, I had to have it specially imported' gives you a line no one else can use.

Lol

Yeah, or go full on primadonna and name it after yourself, a la Neil Pryde or Gerard :)

This is lovely, love the matt red. Always wanted an aeroad in this colour.

48456281227_cd7f33845e_h.jpg

I like this too. 2019 colour. Bare frameset looks virtually identical to the 2012 ones we have.

351105-00-d-751029.jpg

Steel is about 200 ish.. more if you want to replicate a colnago art decor (the two i mentioned can both do it)... with steel and alu if you dont need clear coating over decals etc.. you could get tallaght powder coating to do a decent job for 100ish

Steel is about 200 ish.. more if you want to replicate a colnago art decor (the two i mentioned can both do it)... with steel and alu if you dont need clear coating over decals etc.. you could get tallaght powder coating to do a decent job for 100ish

I’d be looking for nice thin paint work + clear to replicate the way they used to do it. Might not be that easy with modern paints and will probably need to talk to the guys themselves to see what’s possible.

I picked up a beautiful Raleigh SBDU with fantastic paint and chrome a couple months back. I was stopped at a petrol station on a short spin and standing back from the bike a good bit. A guy came along and stood staring at it for ages and ages. Thought he was going to grab and run but he eventually snapped out of it and continued on his way.

Interesting.

How adeptly could an aftermarket painter replicate / restore / touch up a fancy Colnago paint job I wonder? We've one of these in the attic.

1-colnago-master-olympic-campagnolo-record-8v-italy-steel-vintage-bike-campy-1200x800.jpg

But you wouldn't want to end up with this like:

_113025487_frescopic.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How adeptly could an aftermarket painter replicate / restore / touch up a fancy Colnago paint job I wonder? We've one of these in the attic.
    would cost way more than the bike is worth to paint it. look, i'm being stupid here, but i'll give you a tenner for the bike, probably way more than it's worth. cutting my own nose off with that offer, i am.

• Advertisement

They can do it well. Go on facebook and look gor mad clown check out his past work... colnago decor would be the easiest job for him.. similarly whoever keith from carbontec use, i hear he can do same.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I've had 2 bikes sprayed by Chris Custom Designs near Newry. He's on FB. Cost around €350, including decals and prep work. Great to deal with.

outfox wrote: »
    I've had 2 bikes sprayed by Chris Custom Designs near Newry. He's on FB. Cost around €350, including decals and prep work. Great to deal with.

That sounds pretty good. Wouldn't mind that kind of cost. (presume it's 350 each?) If you've any pics here on the forum of it I'd love to see. :)

The name rings a bell from my own facebook feed for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a big roundy birthday (as Ronan Collins would say)coming up next year.
    It had been my intention to buy myself a new F**k Off bike. I was going to spend about 6-7 grand on it. I have now gotten sense (very late in life) and I'm now going to have my Canyon Ultimate CFX, resprayed by Chris Custom Designs.
    The fact, that you got a second bike done by him appears to be a good recommendation.
    I, too, would like to see a couple of photos of your bikes.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have a big roundy birthday (as Ronan Collins would say)coming up next year.
    It had been my intention to buy myself a new F**k Off bike. I was going to spend about 6-7 grand on it. I have now gotten sense (very late in life) and I'm now going to have my Canyon Ultimate CFX, resprayed by Chris Custom Designs.
    The fact, that you got a second bike done by him appears to be a good recommendation.
    I, too, would like to see a couple of photos of your bikes.

Have you got your own ideas in terms of design and paint scheme to bring to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Have you got your own ideas in terms of design and paint scheme to bring to him?

I love the Rapha Canyon jersey.
    I was thinking matt black and some or all colours from this jersey.

https://www.canyon.com/en-mt/gear/apparel/jerseys/short-sleeve-jerseys/rapha-canyon%2F%2Fsram-pro-team-aero-jersey/9101247.html

That sounds pretty good. Wouldn't mind that kind of cost. (presume it's 350 each?) If you've any pics here on the forum of it I'd love to see. :)

The name rings a bell from my own facebook feed for sure.

Yes, about €350 each if I recall. I'll try to post the photos, but I always seem to screw it up.

201805%20kealkil%203.JPG?role=personal

201905%20kealkil%205.JPG?role=personal

I posted these on another thread previously somewhere. Probably a thread on how to fekkin post photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/201805%20kealkil%203.JPG?role=personal

201805%20kealkil%203.JPG?role=personal

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/201905%20kealkil%205.JPG?role=personal

201905%20kealkil%205.JPG?role=personal

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I got a CAAD12 powder coated 3 months ago. It cost #100 quid and a €10 tin of maat black did the fork

Can't see them I'm afraid Outfox:o

imgbb.com is good and pretty easy - upload your pic, then click on the pic and copy the bbcode image link. Paste that into the thread reply and it should insert the pic for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I've had three bikes painted by Chris custom design, check out his facebook page for photos. Savage attention to detail in his work and an absolute gentleman.

201805-kealkil-3.jpg

201905-kealkil-5.jpg

Thank fat bloke. That imgbb is the biz.

Gosh that Cannondale is a beauty!

201805-kealkil-3.jpg

201905-kealkil-5.jpg

Love them both. I am going to start looking for a high end but beat up (with good chrome) steel frame and get a proper job done on it to build Neo retro. I was going to do it with one of my Colnago masters or Peugeots but their paint is so good it would have been a sin to do anything other than build them up completely period and keep them original.

Hard to find a frame in my size that fits the bill mind you. I will give some serious thought to the boyo who did those ones for you, very tidy. Cannondale probably would have sold twice as many of those bikes if they made them in that colorscheme.

I hope to have a brand new carbon bike on the way to me soon that I got at a knockdown price. The manufacturer is well known for high quality paint jobs but the sad truth is I don't really like the colour scheme. The price was low enough to easily justify a few quid on a respray.

I was looking at loads of bike colour schemes but these two stood out. They appeal to me now but am likely to change my mind again at the drop of a hat. So hard to settle on a scheme that looks good and will last.

525014.jpg

525015.jpg

Advertisement