Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock load bearing wall

Options
  • 29-08-2020 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I'm knocking a load bearing wall through for double doors.i know I need a concrete lintel installed and I'm just wondering what size I need..i know what length I need not sure on width..its a standard 4 inch block wall.any ideas

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DamoNolan wrote: »
    I'm knocking a load bearing wall through for double doors.i know I need a concrete lintel installed and I'm just wondering what size I need..i know what length I need not sure on width..its a standard 4 inch block wall.any ideas

If your knocking a load bearing wall, a concrete lintel will not suffice.

Maybe you are mixed up...... are you knocking an opening in a load bearing wall for double doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You need to know what your doing when you're undertaking alterations to load bearing structure and if you're asking here on boards it's likely you don't know what you're doing.

Get expert help.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

Gumbo wrote: »
    If your knocking a load bearing wall, a concrete lintel will not suffice.

Maybe you are mixed up...... are you knocking an opening in a load bearing wall for double doors?

Yes sorry an opening about 6 feet not the whole wall

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DamoNolan

You need to know what your doing when you're undertaking alterations to load bearing structure and if you're asking here on boards it's likely you don't know what you're doing.

Get expert help.

I will be getting a professional to do it im just wondering myself so I know what there talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I will be getting a professional to do it im just wondering myself so I know what there talking about

This differs from your opening post.

Look you can do this yourself if you know what your doing. But because you said concrete lintel it seems you don't know what your doing

My advice would be pay for an engineer to have a look. They can tell you size and material and scale of lintel required. Couple of hundred for an engineer couple more to certify any works. You won't find an appropriate answer on a forum as they aren't in your house and can't see what it is your planning nor what's above or below it. And that includes the foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In fairness to the OP, if it’s a 100mm block wall, this may be one of the few times we can discuss structural arrangements on the site.
    The span is below what Technical Guidance Document Parr A (Structure) seems as requiring an engineered solution.

The concrete lintel can be used for spans of 6 foot without engineered design as I’m assuming this is a set of internal double doors to create some form of open plan based on the OP’s comment that it’s a 100mm block wall.

The important thing here is that the lintel goes in the right way up, it has the correct bearing and that the prop work is done to a good standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Get someone who knows to help you.

Nothing could be worse than the house falling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mr. O'Reilly? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Advertisement