Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of herd owner

Options
  • 29-08-2020 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

My grandfather has a dormant herd number. He still draws the sfp from the land (about 15 acres) My father and I now want to get a few calves to rear next spring. More of a hobby than anything and wont be any major money made. Is it possible to put the herd number into my fathers name but the sfp still be paid to my grandad? He would still own the land. Or does the land need to be transferred in order for the herd number to be changed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could make it a joint herd number, with your father as the herdkeeper so he will be responsible for any animals. Any payments could then go to your grandfather. An Ag advisor or even a phone call to the department should be able to help.

I’m fairly sure you can nominate a herd keeper without having them as part of the herd number. I know of one case where the person running the farm is definitely not on the herd number and they don’t have their own herd number but are nominated as herd keeper and can buy/sell using the herd number.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hereford202

If a herd keeper sells animals in the mart can the cheque be written in their name? I thought it would still have to be the herdowner. My grandfather is happy for any money to go to my father but would like the sfp. Maybe making a joint herd number would be the answer of they didnt need a joint bank account. I must get onto an advisor on monday, awkward thing to sort for a few hobby calves but once its sorted that's it I suppose.

I’m fairly sure that if you are in a joint herd number then all income is considered split which may not work out well from a tax perspective (your grandfather probably pays little or no tax but your father may be taxed more on it).

I’m not 100% sure this is the case but I have a feeling it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hereford202

That's true, he works full time so I'm not sure how much extra could be earned. Maybe itll be ok because there won't be massive earnings from the calves. Another thing to look into for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement