Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock problems, any thoughts?

Options
  • 28-08-2020 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I’ve put this in the wrong forum.

I’ve done something to the 5 point lock on the front door and I’m short on ideas.

The bottom lock has engaged with the door frame while the upper part of the door hasn’t engaged. The key doesn’t turn and I’m not sure how to unlock it.

Any thoughts or am I looking at a locksmith?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Does the handle still move up or down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Not to the usual extent and key doesn’t turn beyond one rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Could be an alignment issue with striker plate, bottom dead bolt is tight against striker plate making it difficult to turn key while top latch cant engage into receiver.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Anytime I have a lock problem I spray everything with WD40. Sometimes this alone solves the issue, when it doesn’t it always improves the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

2011 wrote: »
    Anytime I have a lock problem I spray everything with WD40. Sometimes this alone solves the issue, when it doesn’t it always improves the situation.

Trouble with any oil product it attracts dirt... only use graphite powder to lubricate locks.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

TopTec wrote: »
    Trouble with any oil product it attracts dirt... only use graphite powder to lubricate locks.

TT

I’ve been using it for years.
    No problems to date.

Advertisement