Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you share your feelings with your spouse/friends?

Options
  • 28-08-2020 2:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Masculinity is criticised for being too restrictive when it comes to men being able to express their emotions to those around them (family, friends, girlfriend, coworkers). In the sense that many men don't want to seem weak.

But is this really the case? I would have though it's bull****. I mean among my former male classmates, we could share our emotions and other men would listen , HOWEVER no one (and I feel this is what some people mistake for sharing emotions) likes to here constant wallowing or whining.

So it seems that men of my generation (Gen Z/Millenials) are okay with sharing emotions. Men of my dad's age however don't. It's surprising but I'm closer to my mother than my dad. I don't hate my dad at all. He's lovely and never abused me but have a 'weird' relationship with him. He never says he loves me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I think the whole be open and share your feelings movement is nonsense. I can't think of anything worse than telling friends and family if I'm feeling down or depressed or whatever. Most men I know just answer with 'I'm grand' and leave it at that. I'm perfectly happy keeping to myself and have been criticised for it in the past in fact people trying to delve into my mind is the one thing that gets me pissed off more than anything. Whatever happened to the strong silent type?
    Cant imagine my own father opening up to me nor do I want him to. Whereas my mother always wants to know how someone feels regarding something.
    How does dave feel about having a baby? I don't f**King know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I think the whole be open and share your feelings movement is nonsense. I can't think of anything worse than telling friends and family if I'm feeling down or depressed or whatever. Most men I know just answer with 'I'm grand' and leave it at that. I'm perfectly happy keeping to myself and have been criticised for it in the past in fact people trying to delve into my mind is the one thing that gets me pissed off more than anything. Whatever happened to the strong silent type?
    Cant imagine my own father opening up to me nor do I want him to. Whereas my mother always wants to know how someone feels regarding something.
    How does dave feel about having a baby? I don't f**King know?

Can I ask, are you closer to your mother than father (emotionally)? You're father seems to be like mine in the sense that though he loves me, doesn't really say it. I've never heard him say that though my mother says that a lot.

I think the whole be open and share your feelings movement is nonsense.

I think it goes both ways. Telling people how they should not - or should - share their emotions based on nothing but the contents of their underwear is what is ridiculous for me.

If someone is telling you how you should or should not be acting because you are a "man" - then they are trotting the guff. No one else. There is even people around here who are not sure they can call a man a "man" if they have different sexual interests than they do with their own girlfriends - if you can imagine that. As if the word "man" changes meaning simply because you agree with them about what is sexy.

Share the feelings _you_ want to share. Simple as. If you feel you have to share something because you are a man - or cant because you are a man - then there are people around you who need to be shown your middle finger.

Advertisement