Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT - Date of First Reg vs Date of Manufacture

Options
  • 28-08-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi lads, I'm thinking of buying and importing a vintage Kawasaki from a mate up North. It's a KZ400, which ran from 1974 to 1980. This particular machine was manufactured in 1978, this is on the V5. However, it sat around unregistered for "some time", and wasn't actually registered until 1995.

I've heard that when it comes to changing tax class from private to vintage, the date of manufacture is used if it was documented. Is that also the case for VRT time? I'd like to stick a ZV reg on it, and obviously avail of vintage tax. A 95 reg would look a bit silly on a 70's machine!

The VRT charge on a 1995 bike would be €75, whereas a vintage is exempt. The €75 isn't a huge deal, the reg and vintage tax would be more important to me. Can I plead my case in the NCT centre or will I need to reg it as a 1995 bike and try and appeal afterwards, or get the details changed through the tax office? Any help welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i'd say get some more evidence lined up of it's date of manufacture and take that along to the NCTS with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Steamed Clams

Isambard wrote: »
    i'd say get some more evidence lined up of it's date of manufacture and take that along to the NCTS with you.

Other than the V5, what kind of evidence could I procure? Maybe a letter from a bike dealer?

yes, good idea, maybe screen shots of similar bikes for sale or such as Wikipedia history if such exists. Is there an Owner's CLub maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

IT desnt work in dublin anyway ,Ihad certificate of authenticity from porsche with date of manufacture in may 1990 .the date of first registration was august 1991,they would not entertain date of manufacture, even though it was proven on cert of authenticity which i sent into them .it was returned to me saying your vehicle was registered on may 4th 1991,it cannot be changed to vintage yet as it must be 30 years for this. it can be changed on or after 4th august 2021,Cleverly they dont say from date of manufacture, which is stated on many county council websites.good luck with it

turbocab wrote: »
    IT desnt work in dublin anyway ,Ihad certificate of authenticity from porsche with date of manufacture in may 1990 .the date of first registration was august 1991,they would not entertain date of manufacture, even though it was proven on cert of authenticity which i sent into them .it was returned to me saying your vehicle was registered on may 4th 1991,it cannot be changed to vintage yet as it must be 30 years for this. it can be changed on or after 4th august 2021,Cleverly they dont say from date of manufacture, which is stated on many county council websites.good luck with it

this is a different case though. Date of manufacture is clearly a lot different to the date of first reg. This is provable.

• Advertisement

this is a different case though. Date of manufacture is clearly a lot different to the date of first reg. This is provable.

This is not different i showed proof of first date of manufacture from certificate of authenticity, dublin county council ignore it and go by date of first regristratin on log book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

I think NI vehicles on DVLA listings so this a good starting point, i have a 1979 vehicle and it is still listed on DVLA

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate

As you can see from above there is facility for doing this.

I think this be your best option, if you cannot do on line i would write them a nice letter with all of the evidence.
    I think the present registered owner will need to do this.
    i don't think i try to do here as they make it up as they go..

Hope this helps...

This is not different i showed proof of first date of manufacture from certificate of authenticity, dublin county council ignore it and go by date of first regristratin on log book.

It is different, this was a vehicle not registered when new for whatever reason. It wasn't registered until a long time after the model went out of production and there should be be a problem proving that.

You don't just roll over in front of petty officials, you keep pushing your case upstairs and eventually when you get to the right person, you win. 30 years of age is what the rule is, this bike is undeniably 30+

It is different, this was a vehicle not registered when new for whatever reason. It wasn't registered until a long time after the model went out of production and there should be be a problem proving that.

You don't just roll over in front of petty officials, you keep pushing your case upstairs and eventually when you get to the right person, you win. 30 years of age is what the rule is, this bike is undeniably 30+

At the end of the day they call the shots unless you want to go the legal route, not worth it ill wait till next august,its 56 euro they would have got but wont be now ,and a i want be paying 1100 euro now ,

those counter clerks all have bosses, you just insist on talking to a Manager and keep going up the chain. I'm not talking about your case, I'm talking about the late registered Kawasaki.

• Advertisement

those counter clerks all have bosses, you just insist on talking to a Manager and keep going up the chain. I'm not talking about your case, I'm talking about the late registered Kawasaki.
    the point is they just go by date of first registration on log book ,the date of manufacture with proof accounts for nothing,

At the end of the day they call the shots unless you want to go the legal route, not worth it ill wait till next august,its 56 euro they would have got but wont be now ,and a i want be paying 1100 euro now ,

But the bike now lives in UK and there is a way there, well in thoery anyway.
    The DVLA will deliver if all boxes ticked...
    I forgot to mention you can register as per County now and change to ZV when 30 years old...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Steamed Clams

Thanks for all the replies lads, I decided not to buy it in the end. The chance of ending up with a 95 reg and no vintage status is too high, and that may make the bike unsaleable in the future (or at least will cripple any value it might have). I've read the pieces on all the county council sites saying the date of manufacture can be used for vintage status, but Revenue don't seem to agree.

Thanks for all the replies lads, I decided not to buy it in the end. The chance of ending up with a 95 reg and no vintage status is too high, and that may make the bike unsaleable in the future (or at least will cripple any value it might have). I've read the pieces on all the county council sites saying the date of manufacture can be used for vintage status, but Revenue don't seem to agree.

Only you can decide but you should tell your mate to do as i suggested earlier as the facility is there to do exactly what you were asking for..
    Just ask them to check the two links i sent in previous post..

Advertisement