Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair Cracks - Door Architrave

Options
  • 28-08-2020 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I had doors replaced and cracks have appeared around door architraves where wood meets the wall (pics attached). What is the best way to repair? Caulk or some sort of filler ie: Polyfilla?

Also see pic of gap between where old skirting ran and where I have ran in new skirting. What is the best way to fill this? Wood filler?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I had doors replaced and cracks have appeared around door architraves where wood meets the wall (pics attached). What is the best way to repair? Caulk or some sort of filler ie: Polyfilla?

Also see pic of gap between where old skirting ran and where I have ran in new skirting. What is the best way to fill this? Wood filler?

Thank you

Pics attached

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

painters caulk, not silicone anything like that

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

painters caulk, not silicone anything like that

Thank you. What about the large gap? Seems I would need a lot of caulk in there to fill the gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whodafunk wrote: »
    Thank you. What about the large gap? Seems I would need a lot of caulk in there to fill the gap?

build it up, or at least have the last layer caulk, as the silicone wont take paint

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

That's too large a gap for caulk. I'd try and fill that void first with either bonding or decorators filler (bonding is cheap, dries pretty quickly and would be easy to use in this situation- no slump). Press it into the gap, leaving it a little low. When dry finish off with a light coating of decorators filler, sand off and then caulk. A little bit of work but you'll get a good result. Large gaps filled with caulk will tend to sink or "pull" away from the substrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

fill that void first with either bonding or decorators filler (bonding is cheap, dries pretty quickly and would be easy to use in this situation- no slump). .
    When you say bonding what do you mean? Can one buy small amounts of bonding? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sorry, bonding is a Gyproc undercoat plaster product, comes in fairly large bags so you probably won't be using it for this job unless you already had it on hand. Just use decorators filler to fill the gap, may take 2 or 3 separate applications on account of the thickness. Otherwise wedge some stout paper or cardboard into the gap as a backer and then fill with filler.

Advertisement