Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to cycling bike upgrade

Options
  • 27-08-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

hi all,
    So I recently picked up cycling and have been doing about 30-40 km every 3rd day or so.
    My back wheel is a bit wobbly so i want to get it replaced (got it trued once but the mechanic said it needed replacing). the current tyres are 28 700c and they too need replacing. current groupset is shimano sora.

what should I look into getting first?
    I'm new to all this so - size, brand etc. recommendations please :D
    thanks

5bYnWPf.jpg
    V2S7Cy4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Almost all road bike wheels are 700c, and almost all will take the 28mm tire. You just need to make sure they will take the 9 speed cassette or might need a spacer. Something like a Mavic Aksium.

If you are looking for more upgrades, it might be worth upgrading the tire at the same time - tires are one of the best upgrades you can make on a bike like that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why do the tyres need replacing? if you're reasonably new to cycling, they may still have lots of life in them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Look you can drop 500-10000 on a bike if you want. A reasonable upgrade for a beginner from what you got would be a shimano 105 group set with a aluminium frame and carbon forks. A set of entry level wheels. Your talking circa 1k or probably 1250 now because of bike to work increase. A lot of companies mix group sets and label the gearing. They could say 105 group set but it has crap brakes and chain set. A decent bike and spec below but your local bike shop will probably have something similar at a decent price. I suppose all depends if your into brands

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/road-bike-edr-af-105-black-en-s305449-2664723.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjws536BRDTARIsANeUZ599q0klODK_qJikbRu2ICrAZ9gFMqyqlEyhT6gh8SWyeLuuVVKnmT4aAlS2EALw_wcB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

P2C wrote: »
    Look you can drop 500-10000 on a bike if you want.
    um, the OP is not looking to replace the bike?
    just the back wheel and tyres.

Mid read the tread quote="magicbastarder;114446340"]um, the OP is not looking to replace the bike?
    just the back wheel and tyres.[/quote]

• Advertisement

If I was buying wheels I have a few sets of campag calimas as training wheels. Really solid. I use continental gator skins for training. The campag take a wide tyre. The best part is the campag are probably best value at about €150 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭vintcerf

thanks for the info.
    forgot to mention that i bought the bike second hand. got a 2 week old bike nicked in 2018 so can't use BTW for another while. the Mavic Aksiums look an ok price. what's the best shop to get these from? or is it a matter of shopping around?

why do the tyres need replacing? if you're reasonably new to cycling, they may still have lots of life in them yet.

got the bike second hand :P i saw a cracks on the tyres earlier today. can post photos tomorrow.

Make sure you buy a disc specific set, and that they come with the adaptors for QR if they are a thru axel system wheel, as your bike looks to be quick release.

CRC have them https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/mavic-aksium-disc-6-bolt-wheelset-2020/rp-prod177993

if only the back wheel is needed, could save some shekels there. i got a rear 6 bolt QR aksium in my LBS for €125 a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The bike looks grand for what it is. If comfort is an issue then you could replace the alloy seatpost with a carbon one. Those other Boardman OE parts, like the handlebars and stem, could also be replaced to enhance comfort and knock some weight off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's a nice looking bike. By all means keep an eye out for an upgrade in the future but in the meantime you have a perfectly good winter training bike. Get a set of wheels and ride on.

is it worth getting a set or will i be ok with just the rear wheel?
    so this is what i need then - disc specific wheel with adaptors for QR if they are a thru axel system wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

have you got a bike fit done? i got one done a few months after starting cycling and the power difference the very next day was unreal , beat everyone of my pbs on a 100km section. Highly recommend that for a reasonably priced efficiency upgrade.

Oh forgot to ask OP are you planning on doing this yourself? It's not difficult but you may need tools to transfer the cassette from the old rear wheel to the new one.

puddles22 wrote: »
    have you got a bike fit done? i got one done a few months after starting cycling and the power difference the very next day was unreal , beat everyone of my pbs on a 100km section. Highly recommend that for a reasonably priced efficiency upgrade.

no! i'll look into it thanks!

Oh forgot to ask OP are you planning on doing this yourself? It's not difficult but you may need tools to transfer the cassette from the old rear wheel to the new one.

the plan is to do it myself! if i don't already have the tools i'll get a mechanic to do it.

just trying to find a bargain :D
    are these the right ones? are they worth ~200 euro to "buy now"?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174408990647

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

Hi there, cant really go wrong with a set of fulcrum wheels, that's what I have on my bike and I'm very happy with them, I ride about 100K a week, no speedster stuff!

vintcerf wrote: »
    just trying to find a bargain :D
    are these the right ones? are they worth ~200 euro to "buy now"?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174408990647
    not for a set of secondhand wheels that have to be posted from the UK (unless you're in the UK?)

• Advertisement

can someone recommend a set for ~200. been trawling the internet all weekend but i have no idea what i am looking for. i am looking for wheels that are just true and nothing fancy. what i've been searching for is - 700c 28 6 bolt rotor disc with quick release.
    found these so far but not sure if any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-DISC-BRAKE-Road-Racing-Bike-Wheel-Set-7-8-9-10-Speed-Shimano-Deore/193192796935?hash=item2cfb302307:g:o6YAAOSwC-5fR3cY

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Mavic/Aksium-Disc-6-bolt-Wheelset-p66675/

thanks

aksiums would be standard issue in that price bracket really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Can I ask if you carry much weight on the back? 1 picture shows a set of panniers on the bike so if you carry them often then I wonder if your better off getting a 36 hole hand built rear wheel?

Can I ask if you carry much weight on the back? 1 picture shows a set of panniers on the bike so if you carry them often then I wonder if your better off getting a 36 hole hand built rear wheel?

that was when i did the ring of kerry (over a few days). I've gotten rid of the panniers since.

Advertisement