Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid- cancellation

• 27-08-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, I'm due to get married in November after putting back the date a few times. Our hotel rang today to say we can only have 50 guests inc staff which is 22, meaning the total we can have at our wedding is 28. We don't want to go with this as one side of immediate family is about 20. We have paid €2000 deposit and hotel say if we dont go with this date we lose our deposit. Just wondering can they do this as these are exceptional circumstances re covid. Any advice appreciated x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alicantra123

Hi Aug16

I also cancelled my wedding due to happen in October for the same reason. My venue had been extremely difficult and inflexible the whole way through and that is actually why I cancelled in the end. They are now trying to charge us to full amount for the 45 people they would be able to accommodate even though I negotiated a lower cancellation rate with them back ages ago (in writing) when we originally had to reschedule back when Covid first hit. I am absolutely disgusted with them to be honest and have sought legal advice.

Cancellation terms and conditions are usually spelled out pretty clearly in the contract. For example it usually says X% based on X months out from the wedding. However, as the venue is (presumably) unable to meet the agreements within the contract due to covid, in my opinion you should not therefor have to pay a cent (this is my interpretation, I'm not a legal person).

I think it is completely unacceptable that people should lose their deposits when their venues simply cannot provide the agreed services. It's extremely unfortunate for the venues, but the customers should not have to be the ones to pick up the tab.

If you ordered a pair of blue slippers size 7 online and what arrived was a pair of green runner size 10, would it be reasonable to ask you to pay for them?? I really don't see how this situation is any different.

I don't mean any disrespect to venues, and I really do feel for them, but I just don't think it is right that people should be charged for things they did not agree to.

I happen to know that many venues are being fantastic and offering full refunds to their customers. Probably in the end it will come down to a negotiation and you will meet somewhere in the middle, unfortunately.

It's such a devastating thing to have to cancel your wedding in the first place without then having to engage in these confrontational tug of wars! Best of luck to you with yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Why do they need 22 staff to serve 50 people? Our venue said at most 5 staff for 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Hi Aug16

I also cancelled my wedding due to happen in October for the same reason. My venue had been extremely difficult and inflexible the whole way through and that is actually why I cancelled in the end. They are now trying to charge us to full amount for the 45 people they would be able to accommodate even though I negotiated a lower cancellation rate with them back ages ago (in writing) when we originally had to reschedule back when Covid first hit. I am absolutely disgusted with them to be honest and have sought legal advice.

Cancellation terms and conditions are usually spelled out pretty clearly in the contract. For example it usually says X% based on X months out from the wedding. However, as the venue is (presumably) unable to meet the agreements within the contract due to covid, in my opinion you should not therefor have to pay a cent (this is my interpretation, I'm not a legal person).

I think it is completely unacceptable that people should lose their deposits when their venues simply cannot provide the agreed services. It's extremely unfortunate for the venues, but the customers should not have to be the ones to pick up the tab.

If you ordered a pair of blue slippers size 7 online and what arrived was a pair of green runner size 10, would it be reasonable to ask you to pay for them?? I really don't see how this situation is any different.

I don't mean any disrespect to venues, and I really do feel for them, but I just don't think it is right that people should be charged for things they did not agree to.

I happen to know that many venues are being fantastic and offering full refunds to their customers. Probably in the end it will come down to a negotiation and you will meet somewhere in the middle, unfortunately.

It's such a devastating thing to have to cancel your wedding in the first place without then having to engage in these confrontational tug of wars! Best of luck to you with yours!

I could have wrote this! My situation is the same.

I'd suggest contacting the CCPC, ihf, every td and journalists. Try to put as much pressure on people as possible.

I have gone the legal route too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Scheihan

Hi Brianmwalker and alicantra123, I am in the same situation as you both but my wedding is abroad..March 2021. It does not look like it will go ahead for a second time and we are not in a position to postpone for a third time. Did you have a luck with your legal support? Our venue said their is no deposit refund.

Thank you!

Advertisement