Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation options for extension over filled up area

Options
  • 27-08-2020 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

I'm considering extending our Kitchen, the problem was that when I bought the house there was a big fall (approx. 7 metrs) to the back of the house which I filled in and concreted to make a driveway and brought the level of the back garden up also. The proposed extension would be sitting on this area. The size of the extension would be about 30sq metres. It would have a hipped roof with a cavity wall on one side and possibly glass on the other two sides.
    Would some sort of pile foundation do the job? Appreciate any advise that can be offered.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Engineer solution required.
    You may have to excavate the concrete and pour standard foundations with an increased height of rising wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

7 m so 22 feet?
    what did you fill it with?

Have you a retaining wall?
    IIRC you need PP to change the ground level by more than 1 meter.

Piling would be woefully expensive and would probable need test holes to be dug under the 7m to check soil type.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

7 m so 22 feet?
    what did you fill it with?

Have you a retaining wall?
    IIRC you need PP to change the ground level by more than 1 meter.

Piling would be woefully expensive and would probable need test holes to be dug under the 7m to check soil type.

The deepest part of it would be about 22 ft. The terrain was like a U shape - the house and boundaries either side higher, then a big hole behind the house.

No retaining wall, from where the garden starts it know gently slopes towards the back fence when is about 50 ft away.

It was filled 12 years ago, I wasn't aware I needed planning when i did it. It was filled with regular filling that was going free at the time (it took quite a lot mind). For the drive area it got heavy stone, gravel and then the concrete. It has held up well since with not cracking. I've noticed the garden has sunk a little bit i a few spots though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Afraid this is outside of the forum scope, you’d be best to seek Engineer to spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

BryanF wrote: »
    Afraid this is outside of the forum scope, you’d be best to seek Engineer to spec.

Thought it might be alright. Thanks for the advice all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Why not did it out and have a man cave/ workshop or games room at the lower level and a kitchen extension at the first floor. Would be great to see a section the site and what was filled in to get a better idea. Obviously it would need retaining walls but you'll need them anyway if adding an extension

Advertisement