Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Looking at getting an old Mini

  • 26-08-2020 1:54pm
    #1
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Aron722


    Hi I'm looking at getting an old mini around late 80s to 90s , just to have for the weekends sometimes.

    Just wondering what would the insurance and tax be like as it would be a classic?

    Can I put it on my insurance policy i have for my day to day car ?

    Thanks for any advice


Comments

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman


    You would have to have an additional classic car policy. Average 200-300 euros

    Tax 56 euro per year, and away you go.

    Of course all this is dependant on your age, and license type


  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ berocca2016


    Aron722 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking at getting an old mini around late 80s to 90s , just to have for the weekends sometimes.

    Just wondering what would the insurance and tax be like as it would be a classic?

    Can I put it on my insurance policy i have for my day to day car ?

    Thanks for any advice

    Most importantly for Minis in general would be rust rather than age necessarily, you might be paying less tax for a 30 year old mini but they rot to pieces and may possibly not get through an NCT without serious structural work.

    The design was based around a concept rather than accurate assembly and ease of maintenance.

    Depending on your budget it might be worth looking for a Japanese import mini (Japan was the biggest market for Minis in their latter years) if you can find one, get it professionally wax oiled. You would also have the added bonus of Air Con!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭ zg3409


    Over 30 years old cheaper tax.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_tax_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#:~:text=Vehicles%2030%20years%20old%20or,person%20at%20Motor%20Tax%20Offices.

    Pre 1980 no NCT. NCT exemption rolling 40 years starting this year. https://www.ivvcc.ie/article/great-news-for-all-historic-vehicle-enthusiasts/#:~:text=Our%20members%20vehicles%20over%2040,required%20to%20undergo%20compulsory%20testing.

    Insurance typically a few hundred a year, but with catches like limited mileage, must have a different main policy.

    Minis are from 4,000 euro up and a classic is a new hobby, not a daily runner. It may need tinkering, love and somewhere dry to store it. If you want something reliable best to get one with fully refurbished engine and all work already done. Otherwise you are taking on an unfinished project.

    Another option is to hire for odd weekend. I did that and it filled my urge (I don't have room for storage)

    https://courtyardclassiccars.com/


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Aron722


    Most importantly for Minis in general would be rust rather than age necessarily, you might be paying less tax for a 30 year old mini but they rot to pieces and may possibly not get through an NCT without serious structural work.

    The design was based around a concept rather than accurate assembly and ease of maintenance.

    Depending on your budget it might be worth looking for a Japanese import mini (Japan was the biggest market for Minis in their latter years) if you can find one, get it professionally wax oiled. You would also have the added bonus of Air Con!


    True anything else to look out for other then rust?
    I don't want to spend to much would be looking to do a bit of work on it myself,


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,686 ✭✭✭✭ punisher5112


    Aron722 wrote: »
    True anything else to look out for other then rust?
    I don't want to spend to much would be looking to do a bit of work on it myself,

    Anything old is going to be a money pit so you would want to have money aside to maintain.
    Will it be in a garage or left out in the elements?


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Aron722


    Anything old is going to be a money pit so you would want to have money aside to maintain.
    Will it be in a garage or left out in the elements?


    I will more than likely be getting it resprayed to the colour I want and probably new seat covers depending what they are. It will be in my side entrance where I have had cars kept before good shelter.

    would it be a good idea to get a car cover so I can have it covered aswell ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭ elperello


    Aron722 wrote: »
    I will more than likely be getting it resprayed to the colour I want and probably new seat covers depending what they are. It will be in my side entrance where I have had cars kept before good shelter.

    would it be a good idea to get a car cover so I can have it covered aswell ?

    I wouldn't buy any old car without a place to keep it under a roof.

    One other thing about Minis (which I love and have owned) is to check one for size.

    Can you get in and out of one without needing physiotherapy?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Aron722


    elperello wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy any old car without a place to keep it under a roof.

    One other thing about Minis (which I love and have owned) is to check one for size.

    Can you get in and out of one without needing physiotherapy?


    I currently have a Volkswagen scirocco its low to get into but dont find it to awkward, I'm 5'11


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭ elperello


    Aron722 wrote: »
    I currently have a Volkswagen scirocco its low to get into but dont find it to awkward, I'm 5'11

    At 5 11 you definitely need to get someone to let you sit in one.

    They are a much tighter fit than a Scirocco.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman


    Aron722 wrote: »
    I currently have a Volkswagen scirocco its low to get into but dont find it to awkward, I'm 5'11

    Yeah, get rid of that old VW and get a mini....

    I'll make room for it, the VW not the mini.:D


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Aron722


    elperello wrote: »
    At 5 11 you definitely need to get someone to let you sit in one.

    They are a much tighter fit than a Scirocco.

    Yeah I think your right .
    It wouldn't be my main car now just always wanted an old one .


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Aron722


    elperello wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy any old car without a place to keep it under a roof.

    One other thing about Minis (which I love and have owned)

    What year did you have, did you enjoy driving it ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭ hawkeye_bmr


    I'd recommend a storm force cover if you're keeping it out doors.

    Have one on mine and it's bone dry, even has no windows in it!

    Unless you're paying big bucks for a mini, there all gonna need tinkering with, but all parts are available from numerous suppliers.

    Do your research, seen a few dodgy ones for sale the past few months, so things like indictors on wings, ECU in engine bay on an early 80s model etc etc


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭ elperello


    Aron722 wrote: »
    elperello wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy any old car without a place to keep it under a roof.

    One other thing about Minis (which I love and have owned)

    What year did you have, did you enjoy driving it ?

    I had one of the early ones with the starter button on the floor, it had an 1100cc engine stuck in it, and a 1980 City 850.

    Fantastic driving experience. Parts very easy to source. Might get another some day.

    Serious about the garage though, don't do it without one.


Advertisement