Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New NAS Setup

Options
  • 25-08-2020 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi & apologies if this is very basic stuff to be asking!

I've been going back & forth for a while but have decided to bite the bullet and put together my own proper NAS, mainly for streaming video via plex but also for backing up small amount of photos etc. I use an older Win 8 desktop as a plex server at the moment, but it's days are numbered at this stage, and it struggles to stream media to more than 2 devices simultaneously.

I think I've decided on the Terramaster FT-210 and a Seagate Ironwolf 4TB drive to start off with, as my current media collection of TV shows/movies is just above the 900GB mark currently and I don't need huge capacity yet, I can eventually stick in another HDD if needed. Just curious if anyone has any experience with Terramaster NAS's? I know they're not as popular as the likes Synology or Qnap etc, but price seems good and device has gotten good reviews.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi & apologies if this is very basic stuff to be asking!

I've been going back & forth for a while but have decided to bite the bullet and put together my own proper NAS, mainly for streaming video via plex but also for backing up small amount of photos etc. I use an older Win 8 desktop as a plex server at the moment, but it's days are numbered at this stage, and it struggles to stream media to more than 2 devices simultaneously.

I think I've decided on the Terramaster FT-210 and a Seagate Ironwolf 4TB drive to start off with, as my current media collection of TV shows/movies is just above the 900GB mark currently and I don't need huge capacity yet, I can eventually stick in another HDD if needed. Just curious if anyone has any experience with Terramaster NAS's? I know they're not as popular as the likes Synology or Qnap etc, but price seems good and device has gotten good reviews.

Cheers.

I know you posted this 5 months ago but I'm only seeing it now because I've come into this section of boards looking for some help. But to answer your question, I have a Terramaster F4-220

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Hope you got 2x drives?

Otherwise it's an accident waiting to happen.

Also, NAS RAID is not a backup, I would strongly suggest that you also get an offsite/cloud backup even just for your critical data such as photos.

Advertisement