Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin renovation

Options
  • 25-08-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

We are renovating our house and want to check what type of certifications of compliance with regulations etc. we should be receiving from our architect and/or structural engineer. We will be changing the downstairs layout, which will involve using reinforced steel joists, and we will also be converting the attic (not to be a habitable room, just to be a usable space). From what I understand what I will need is a certificate of compliance with building regulations from the structural engineer. Is there anything else I should be getting from the architect/structural engineer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what is each contracted to do?
    Have you a written contract with both?
    That will determine what you will get

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭vintcerf

My question relates more to what certificates are normally received from structural engineers/architects rather than what mine are contractually obliged to provide me with. My understanding is that a structural engineer generally provides a certificate if any structural work is undertaken, which will be needed in the future if selling etc., but believe architects may also provide such certificates? To clarify - my question is what is the norm when renovating houses.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

renovating: please list the works

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

In my work, due to the issue of my PL, there is no norm, its what is required by the client.
    The SE cert re reno steel work is usually very specific and requires discussion with the builder before anything is touched re size of ope, beam size, supports for beam etc and then the work must be inspected before it gets covered up: generally 3 visits.

The architect will generally provide a cert of compliance with PP and BRs, but it all depends what you want.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement