Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from Neighbours

Options
  • 25-08-2020 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I live in a semi d bungalow and our neighbors recently got some work done on their attic. It was previously converted and used as a room but they installed a window towards the front of the house (didn't apply for planning) and I'm assuming had work done inside.

But ever since the work was done we can hear everything through the walls. I feel like there is nothing I can do except maybe join in on their conversations :o And they are just talking, they're not being loud.

I'm looking for advice on how to sound proof the walls going forward. They are already sound boarded and we never heard anything from their side until they had work done. Our attic hasn't had any work done to it. Would sound boarding it help? Would adding an extra layer of sound boarding and batons to the rooms joining their house help?

I don't mind during the day but our bedroom is on the shared wall side and listening to them just talking at night time is driving me a bit nuts!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would wonder what has changed to increase the sound transmission.

have you been up in your own attic since the work was done?

The window needs planning

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

Me too, its so strange. Hard flooring as opposed to carpet? Attaching something/ drilling into the shared concrete wall?

I sent the other half up the other night when I was close to calling into them :o but he poked his head up into the hatch, said it was hard to tell as he could hear other things :rolleyes: Ill get up myself next time we can hear them and see what the sound is like.

Planning is something that none of my neighbor seem to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

keaves wrote: »
    Me too, its so strange. Hard flooring as opposed to carpet? Attaching something/ drilling into the shared concrete wall?

I sent the other half up the other night when I was close to calling into them :o but he poked his head up into the hatch, said it was hard to tell as he could hear other things :rolleyes: Ill get up myself next time we can hear them and see what the sound is like.

Planning is something that none of my neighbor seem to be aware of.

you need to examine the party wall carefully with a good torch, especially along the roof line

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement