Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding TV cable

Options
  • 25-08-2020 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Not technically DIY as I'm unlikely to do it myself but just looking at the options here.

We're looking to move the TV (virgin media box). Currently it's in an alcove on one side of the chimney breast (outside wall, beside access point). We're looking to move it, to the alcove on the other side of the chimney breast (internal wall, on neighbour's side). What are the options here for hiding the cable? Can the chimney breast be drilled through? The fireplace will be used.

Is there any other options, there's beading around the fireplace, could the cable be run under the beading, the cable is thick so I'm unsure about it bending around the angles without damaging?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are a few routes you can use here. I have a similar problem.

- Get Virgin Media to run a new cable into the attic and drop it down through the house. Might be pricey.

- Run the cable under the floor or behind the skirts. This is ho mine works - the cable runs behind the skirting board up to the chimney, then around the front of the hearth where it lies underneath the laminate floor (I had to chase the floor to get it in tight). On the other side of the chimney breast it goes back behind the skirting board again.

- Run the cable the long way. Run it along the the top of the skirts, around the door frame, etc, all the way to the other side of the room. Done neatly enough, you won't even notice it.

- Go through the ceiling. So take the cable up into the ceiling - run it across behind the plasterwork, and back down again where you want the TV.

- Chase the chimney breast. Basically dig a trench in the chimney breast and bury the cable.

While running the cable along the top of the skirts can be the messiest-looking, it's the only job that doesn't require some level of redecorating afterwards. I'd be inclined to do that, and then the next time you're getting the room painted anyway, go for one of hte other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Would those flat cables running under the floor work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

seamus wrote: »
    There are a few routes you can use here. I have a similar problem.

- Get Virgin Media to run a new cable into the attic and drop it down through the house. Might be pricey.

- Run the cable under the floor or behind the skirts. This is ho mine works - the cable runs behind the skirting board up to the chimney, then around the front of the hearth where it lies underneath the laminate floor (I had to chase the floor to get it in tight). On the other side of the chimney breast it goes back behind the skirting board again.

- Run the cable the long way. Run it along the the top of the skirts, around the door frame, etc, all the way to the other side of the room. Done neatly enough, you won't even notice it.

- Go through the ceiling. So take the cable up into the ceiling - run it across behind the plasterwork, and back down again where you want the TV.

- Chase the chimney breast. Basically dig a trench in the chimney breast and bury the cable.

While running the cable along the top of the skirts can be the messiest-looking, it's the only job that doesn't require some level of redecorating afterwards. I'd be inclined to do that, and then the next time you're getting the room painted anyway, go for one of hte other options.
    The third option described here is the way to go. Won't look messy at all. The cable is not thick just a standard size like one connected to a plug. Is it not??

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a coax cable, so it's not really thick, but it's thicker than your typical electrical cable.

Coax cables do not bend very well, so it will be difficult to get it neat where you need to bend it (i.e. at the corners of the rooms and around the door). Even if you do manage to get it neat through sheer force, coax is not supposed to be bent 90 degrees and you will likely damage it. You can get right angle connectors, but these will be visually obvious.

I don't think the long way will work here, at least not without looking a bit messy in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Cheers for the suggestions folks.

I'm thinking I might try pull up the beading where the fireplace meets the floor and try run it under there. Probably not the neatest but could make it work with minimal work/damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Is there coving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

awec wrote: »
    It's a coax cable, so it's not really thick, but it's thicker than your typical electrical cable.

Coax cables do not bend very well, so it will be difficult to get it neat where you need to bend it (i.e. at the corners of the rooms and around the door). Even if you do manage to get it neat through sheer force, coax is not supposed to be bent 90 degrees and you will likely damage it. You can get right angle connectors, but these will be visually obvious.

I don't think the long way will work here, at least not without looking a bit messy in places.

You could use shotgun cable. Much smaller than standard co-ax, more flexible, smaller bending radius and easier to hide. Look on satworld.ie, satellite.ie or any such provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cerco wrote: »
    You could use shotgun cable. Much smaller than standard co-ax, more flexible, smaller bending radius and easier to hide. Look on satworld.ie, satellite.ie or any such provider.

Still doesn't take corners. You'll snap it if you try a 45 on it.

Don't bend these cables. Your best options are coving.

Under floor or above ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

listermint wrote: »
    Still doesn't take corners. You'll snap it if you try a 45 on it.

Don't bend these cables. Your best options are coving.

Under floor or above ceiling.

If that is your experience with shotgun cable then you must have used very poor quality product. The bending radius of a co-axial cable is directly proportional to its diameter. There is no difficulty routing in and around corners. No danger of snapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Virgin Cable looks like coaxial but its actually called RG6
    back when i had a fireplace i purchased a fender for the sole purpose of being able to hide cables behind it routing them around the fireplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cerco wrote: »
    If that is your experience with shotgun cable then you must have used very poor quality product. The bending radius of a co-axial cable is directly proportional to its diameter. There is no difficulty routing in and around corners. No danger of snapping.

No thats the reality of shotgun cable. I dont buy cheap quality products. Its a large copper core its not mean to be bent around the top of an architrave it has to curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

LenWoods wrote: »
    Virgin Cable looks like coaxial but its actually called RG6.
    ????? RG6 is coaxial cable, as is RG11,RG59 etc. etc. just different specs.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/rg6.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Alun wrote: »
    ????? RG6 is coaxial cable, as is RG11,RG59 etc. etc. just different specs.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/rg6.htm
    thanks for the link ill take that on board i always described it as RG6 :o,
    personally ive reinstalled Viirgin throughout my home, (4 Rooms) using Belden 1694A for the terestrial i used HD100 and sattelite ive used WF100 shotgun network cables then IBra Cat7
    fitted a pannel in the attic to distribute everything to the rooms.

pnY9j61cj

fitted floating boxes to the ceiing in the bedroooms to house devices without taking up any usable room space.

pneRwp2vj

poP2ptmhj

ive als used some short length MIL-DTL-17 Cables, also known as RG316 ;) for sattelite box in th living room, not tried it with virgin but its super small diameter

po8I4hkNj

poKH8W8Uj

Advertisement