Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monthly Checkups (<1 year old)

Options
  • 25-08-2020 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Unsure if there’s a better forum for this.

Due to the current circumstances, my daughter hasn’t had the nurse visit since she was 3 months old. She’s now 7 months old and the nurse has said that all checkups are cancelled unless it’s for a newborn baby. She recommended that we call to our GP and ask them, but it’s a slim chance that they’ll do it.

Any ideas on what to do? We just want to know if she’s progressing well re: height, weight etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont think its usual for there to be a check up again before 18 months.

Do you have any particular concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

There’s normally a 3 mo check and a 9 month check, so she hasn’t actually missed any yet. Some PHN’s are back doing developmental checks, but I have heard that they’re not doing the missed ones at all, which does seem a bit mad.
    If you’re worried, you should talk to your gp. Or you can weigh her yourself and plot it on the hse growth charts tO see what centiles she’s tracking on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Two of mine have missed checks. One her 3.5 yr one and one her 18 mth one. I literally just got a letter from the HSE saying checks are being missed and “service will start again as soon as the pandemic conditions allow”. In the meantime PHN child health service is still available and if we have concerns about growth or development please contact the PHN.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

I never knew there was 3.5 year one. My lads would have missed that as well. I've no concerns with one and its not necessary for the other as he's already linked in with supports.

fits wrote: »
    I never knew there was 3.5 year one. My lads would have missed that as well. I've no concerns with one and its not necessary for the other as he's already linked in with supports.

I think it’s technically a 3yr one? She actually had an apt in February for it (she turned 4 at the end of June). We turned up to the Feb apt to be told the PHNs car had broken down or something, didn’t bother ringing us so I was absolutely raging! Then the pandemic hit so we weren’t called again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

fits wrote: »
    I dont think its usual for there to be a check up again before 18 months.

Do you have any particular concerns?

It’s our first child, so it’s more for peace of mind I guess. She was sent for a scan before in the hospital for her hip, so we just wanted to make sure everything was going fine for her.

Digs wrote: »
    Two of mine have missed checks. One her 3.5 yr one and one her 18 mth one. I literally just got a letter from the HSE saying checks are being missed and “service will start again as soon as the pandemic conditions allow”. In the meantime PHN child health service is still available and if we have concerns about growth or development please contact the PHN.

Thanks for that. Will keep it in mind when the time comes for her 9 month one.

Just bare in mind that line about the PHN health service still being available isn’t just for kids who have missed checks, don’t hesitate to ring if you’re concerned about anything. Very loose general rule of thumb is to look at the big picture. If baby is alert, smiley and on the whole doing well things should be fine but if you’re worried ring. They may say to contact the GP but have the conversation!

Digs wrote: »
    I think it’s technically a 3yr one? She actually had an apt in February for it (she turned 4 at the end of June). We turned up to the Feb apt to be told the PHNs car had broken down or something, didn’t bother ringing us so I was absolutely raging! Then the pandemic hit so we weren’t called again.

They used call it a preschool check, it used be done a bit later, but preschool starts earlier now. I’d say the timelines vary across the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Is baby up to date with vaccines? If they're due some ask the nurse to weigh baby when youre there. Pharmacies also have baby scales usually but not sure at the moment. Failing that see if you've a family member or neighbour with a kitchen scales that goes up to 10kg.

Read the cdc development milestones. If theres anything you're concerned about set up a meeting with the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

It’s our first child, so it’s more for peace of mind I guess. She was sent for a scan before in the hospital for her hip, so we just wanted to make sure everything was going fine for her.

Did you get the results of the scan? If she got the all clear she’s most likely fine. If she was borderline I’d go to your gp and ask them to check the hips. If they’re unsure after the checkup, They can order an X-ray. The X-ray can only be done from 6 months anyway.

It’s best to keep on top of any possible hip issues as the longer it goes undiagnosed the harder the fix is.

My little one has hip dysplasia That was thankfully caught By the PHN At the 3 month checkup and confirmed by X-ray at 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Did you get the results of the scan? If she got the all clear she’s most likely fine. If she was borderline I’d go to your gp and ask them to check the hips. If they’re unsure after the checkup, They can order an X-ray. The X-ray can only be done from 6 months anyway.

It’s best to keep on top of any possible hip issues as the longer it goes undiagnosed the harder the fix is.

My little one has hip dysplasia That was thankfully caught By the PHN At the 3 month checkup and confirmed by X-ray at 6 months.

Thanks for the advice. The scans came back anyway and they said it’s all fine. We sometimes notice a tendency now for her to just hold her foot in a kind of inward position, so unsure if that’s just a habit or a sign of some issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Thanks for the advice. The scans came back anyway and they said it’s all fine. We sometimes notice a tendency now for her to just hold her foot in a kind of inward position, so unsure if that’s just a habit or a sign of some issues.

If you still have a query Or are worried I’d call your PHN or go to the GP. If her scan came up clear then it’s almost certain that she’s fine but no harm to double check.

What was pointed out to us was that when her legs are side by side the fat folds weren’t symmetrical and I also noticed that she kicked more with one leg than the other.

It’s a completely painless condition so difficult to diagnose

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

My 13 month old has not had her 8/9 month check yet. I actually think you have just reminded me and I am going to ring the PHN to ask them when they will be coming to visit her. That’s 4/5 months late at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

We did not get our 9 month PHN check, just a letter saying they were not doing them because of covid and if we had any concerns to contact your GP. As first time parents we would have liked the reassurance of a quick check, or even a phone call. Saying that we have no real concerns either so just carrying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jam_sambo_

Just wondering if anyone knows what the standard check-ups were before Covid? Is there one at 2 years?

jam_sambo_ wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the standard check-ups were before Covid? Is there one at 2 years?

I think it was 7-9 months. 2 yrs and a preschool check between 3 and 4 is the last one.

Advertisement