Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase of herbicide. PU number. Course

Options
  • 25-08-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

Since I don’t have a herd number am I correct that I need ( only require hand held) to complete PA1 and PA6A knapsack courses to gain a PU number?

Tnks

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

So what I gather is that I need to do a pa1 and pa6 course and assessment. 2.5 days . 490 euros. Then apply to dept Agri for PU number.

Seems a long process just to able to buy some forefront T for a knacksack?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

80sDiesel wrote: »
    So what I gather is that I need to do a pa1 and pa6 course and assessment. 2.5 days . 490 euros. Then apply to dept Agri for PU number.

€490????
    That’s madness, don’t pay that whatever you do. Who is that with or need i ask?

You can do the boom sprayer course over two days for €200 which covers the knapsack also. There’s a course coming up soon in Cavan if that’s any good to you.

It’s with Kearny Training in portlaoise. Can you recommend someone in Munster or close?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

Agricultural consultants and FRS organise sprayer courses around here you could try those in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭hopeso

At the end of all that, you still won't be able to spray Forefront T with a knapsack...It's classified to be used in a boom sprayer only. Do the boom sprayer course...You'll be able to buy Forefront T then. As you don't have a heard number, it's unlikely you'll ever be inspected by the dept. to see how you applied it.....

• Advertisement

hopeso wrote: »
    At the end of all that, you still won't be able to spray Forefront T with a knapsack...It's classified to be used in a boom sprayer only. Do the boom sprayer course...You'll be able to buy Forefront T then. As you don't have a heard number, it's unlikely you'll ever be inspected by the dept. to see how you applied it.....

Yes I saw that forefront T knapsack rule alright. I am restoring some upland hay meadows so the use is only occasional , more to stop invasive creeping buttercup more than anything else.
    I think once u have a PU number it doesn’t mater whether it be knapsack or boom but it’s hard to get the info.

Will investigate the boom course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭50HX

If you don't have a herd number why do you need a pu number??

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Yes I saw that forefront T knapsack rule alright. I am restoring some upland hay meadows so the use is only occasional , more to stop invasive creeping buttercup more than anything else.
    I think once u have a PU number it doesn’t mater whether it be knapsack or boom but it’s hard to get the info.

Will investigate the boom course.

PU number or not its boom only. It's only a relatively small number of pesticides that are actually approved on the label for knapsack applications. Use grazon instead it is approved for knapsack.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Where can the list of sprayer courses be found? May do one over the winter

Advertisement