Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling loops no longer left connected?

Options
  • 24-08-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if any plumbers could clarify something for me

My parents got some work done on their house as part of a government scheme. Some of the work was the installation of a new boiler and upgrading their heating system in general e.g. splitting heat and hw, new controllers etc.

I noticed in the hot press that there was 2 blanked pipes opposite each other and a filling loop braided hose was left at the side. I told my parents to check with the guy running the work and he told them today that if he was to connect the loop, it would fail inspection

Have the rules changed so that filling loops can no longer be left connected (but closed)? If so, are they expected to connect it themselves in case they need to top up the pressure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

From https://www.water.ie/our-customer-commitment/Code-of-Practice-for-Water-Supply.pdf

"2.6.13 Where electric showers and dishwasher, washing machine, heating
    systems, etc. are provided in buildings, they shall not be connected
    directly to Irish Water’s water supply system. They must be fed from the
    storage tank located within the building. Direct feeds from Irish Water’s
    water supply system shall only be to a potable water supply tap and the
    water storage tank."

The filling loop usually needs no tools to remove and replace, they use rubber gaskets so finger tight is all that is required. Just remove the two caps, screw on each end of the hose, and top up as required. Close valves and remove the filling loop when done.

If the heating system is in good condition it should only need topping up once a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

Pete67 wrote: »
    From https://www.water.ie/our-customer-commitment/Code-of-Practice-for-Water-Supply.pdf

"2.6.13 Where electric showers and dishwasher, washing machine, heating
    systems, etc. are provided in buildings, they shall not be connected
    directly to Irish Water’s water supply system. They must be fed from the
    storage tank located within the building. Direct feeds from Irish Water’s
    water supply system shall only be to a potable water supply tap and the
    water storage tank."

The filling loop usually needs no tools to remove and replace, they use rubber gaskets so finger tight is all that is required. Just remove the two caps, screw on each end of the hose, and top up as required. Close valves and remove the filling loop when done.

If the heating system is in good condition it should only need topping up once a year or so.

Thanks! That makes sense now. My house was built in 2012 and has the loop connected so I had assumed the regs had changed but couldn't find it.

I assume one end is mains supply then? I don't remember if there were valves on each pipe but I am assuming there are. Would shudder to think you'd have to shut off the mains in order to connect the loop!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

See https://www.altecnic.co.uk/domestic/plumbing-heating/sealed-systems/45b/ for an example of a filling loop.

There is a valve at either end, these are permanently connected to the mains and the heating system. The mains end also contains a non-return valve (double check valve) to prevent back flow from the heating system into the mains if the mains pressure is low. The whole idea is to prevent any contamination of the drinking water supply with treated water from a heating system, which likely contains chemicals to inhibit corrosion.

When they two valves are closed the hose can easily be removed. There may or may not be protective caps to go on the valves when the hose is not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

Pete67 wrote: »
    See https://www.altecnic.co.uk/domestic/plumbing-heating/sealed-systems/45b/ for an example of a filling loop.

There is a valve at either end, these are permanently connected to the mains and the heating system. The mains end also contains a non-return valve (double check valve) to prevent back flow from the heating system into the mains if the mains pressure is low. The whole idea is to prevent any contamination of the drinking water supply with treated water from a heating system, which likely contains chemicals to inhibit corrosion.

When they two valves are closed the hose can easily be removed. There may or may not be protective caps to go on the valves when the hose is not in use.

Sorry, I meant that the whole filling loop was not connected, including the valves on either end

I'll be up there tomorrow or the day after and I'll take a pic as I could be remembering wrong

Advertisement