Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co. Ragwort

Options
  • 24-08-2020 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Co. Meath where else. Passed through it today and its a sea of Ragwort in places.
    They should rename it Co. Ragwort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Lots of Cavan and Monaghan too.
    A bit is fine but once it’s let get out of hand there is a massive task in recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

What's the danger of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

kala85 wrote: »
    What's the danger of it
    Its a Noxious Weed. It is an offence for the owner/occupier of lands not to prevent the growth and spread of noxious weed.

kala85 wrote: »
    What's the danger of it

If it makes its way into saved feeding it poses a serious poisoning risk. Long slow painful death for the animals affected.

It’s notoriously quick to spread from seed so seeding plants multiply quickly and spread far and wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How come a spray hasn't been invented to get rid of it I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

finbarrk wrote: »
    How come a spray hasn't been invented to get rid of it I wonder?

When you spray it, it does die, but in this state it is even more dangerous to grazing animals as it becomes more palatible.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Can be controlled when sprayed in the small rosette stage early in the year.

Problem is conditions are essentially never suitable for spraying at that stage.
    I was told once it starts to put up a central stem the spraying window is well over.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Why is it worse in meath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Why is it worse in meath?

Could be very light Dept of Ag inspectors combined with some lazy farmers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Saw an ad for people wanted to control Ragwort there recently.

Don't know what the story is, maybe councils employing contractors to control them?
    Was decent money for that sort of work., think it was 17/18 PH. Contract for a few weeks

• Advertisement

Saw an ad for people wanted to control Ragwort there recently.

Don't know what the story is, maybe councils employing contractors to control them?
    Was decent money for that sort of work., think it was 17/18 PH. Contract for a few weeks

Not small money.
    Gone are the 5 punts for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

Ragweed is an airborne biennial weed. A lot of farmers in Ireland need to be educated about it. You can spray and pull it all you want but if your neighbour our county council aren't doing their part then your fields will be covered again.

My farm was immaculate but a nearby town had several fields dug up for development. I've a forest this year that's been near impossible to get on top of. Topping and pulling has been my only option, too wet to spray now and drought earlier in the year so will have to wait until next Spring to spray again.

Fining farms for ragweed would be like fining a farmer cause someone dumped on their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have noticed ragwort on a lane way which adjoins some land I have rented this year.....first time I have ever seen it there....grass lane shared by a few farmers to put cattle in fields....is it too late to pull the ragwort now?...
    ...it’s dying off now but would pull them if I thought it would help reduce what will grow next year....the other few fellas on the lane wouldn’t worry about likes of it but I don’t want it coming into my land next year.....are only around 40 stalks so wouldn’t be a huge job to pull them....didn’t get at them earlier in the year.
    Thanks fir any replies.

Pull them.
    If seeds haven’t gone it’s definitely worth pulling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Took a walk around my field this evening l picking blackberry. Found a few ragwort and hogweed at the end that I need to deal with tonight

Is it OK to cut normal hogweed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Took a walk around my field this evening l picking blackberry. Found a few ragwort and hogweed at the end that I need to deal with tonight

Common hogweed gone to seed now and no real value cutting/mowing plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Be careful with the sap if you cut it. Got it on my arm and hand before and it blistered in the Sun. Damages the DNA so that area won't produce melanin to protect against sunburn. I took a chance with short sleeves and no gloves strimming where it was abroad as it was 35 degrees.

Apparently if you cut it back and cover it, it will die as the roots will run out of energy with no foliage. Look for more details online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Be careful with the sap if you cut it. Got it on my arm and hand before and it blistered in the Sun. Damages the DNA so that area won't produce melanin to protect against sunburn. I took a chance with short sleeves and no gloves strimming where it was abroad as it was 35 degrees.

Apparently if you cut it back and cover it, it will die as the roots will run out of energy with no foliage. Look for more details online.

Thanks. I planned on long sleeves, gloves and a visor. Didn't get to it this evening. Went house hunting with a pal whose moving down from the big smoke. Tomorrow is another day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭kk.man

Folks get sheep.... No ragwort!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Biscuitus

kk.man wrote: »

I'm tempted to get them for cleanup. The past few years have been awful for weeds. Since the 2018 drought they just flourish and with global warming there's no end to growth throughout the Winter. Sheep would be a lot cheaper than spray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭emaherx

kk.man wrote: »

But then you have sheep!

emaherx wrote: »
    But then you have sheep!

Nope, nope, nope.

Kids will keep pulling ragwort thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've noticed a lot of ragwort along the roadsides in west Cork but much less in the east of the east of the county. Would control of it along the roadsides be the county council's responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Had 3 people in clearing it out of a couple of fields I've done drainage in this year. Place was full of it. Not anymore.

Ragworth.jpg

Trailer loads of it dumped there to rot away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Trailer loads of it dumped there to rot away.

Will they not seed anyway there and get spread all over the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭roosterman71

mp3guy wrote: »
    Will they not seed anyway there and get spread all over the place?

That I don't know. Hope to bury them there if I get a chance this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

That I don't know. Hope to bury them there if I get a chance this weekend.

We piled a rake of it up last year and they all ended up seeding anyway, had to cover them over to prevent it blowing everywhere. I think the only solution is burning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Get sheep to get rid of ragwort. Foxes and local dogs will get rid of sheep. Get shotgun to get rid of dogs and foxes. It's the cycle of life.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Get sheep to get rid of ragwort. Foxes and local dogs will get rid of sheep. Get shotgun to get rid of dogs and foxes. It's the cycle of life.

Yea but you get a gun so there’s that

• Advertisement
Advertisement