Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Referees

Options
  • 24-08-2020 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

We had All-Ireland Final referee, David Gough, on the Tackling Sport podcast this week.

Great chat on his own personal journey, GAA Pride, pundits, Johnny Cooper, letters in the post and the changes he’d make to the yellow, black and red card rules.

Well worth the listen. Full show: https://linktr.ee/tacklingsport

Some of the talking points:
    - Very difficult to implement all rules at all levels (somewhere in the region of 110 technical/aggressive fouls) so wants to simplify rules
    - Supporters and players lack of knowledge of the rules, even at elite level
    - The Sunday Game post All-Ireland final criticism for Johnny Cooper Red Card
    - Social media abuse
    - Also his thoughts on being mic’d up and VAR

David on simplifying yellow, black and red cards: https://tacklingsport.com/david-gough-on-ripping-up-the-gaa-rulebook-and-starting-again/

Let me know your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Had the privilege of umpiring for David at a Meath SFC clash that was on in my club and he was let down by one of his men. Had the ear piece in to hear everything which was very informative. I thought he did well and had a good game but the abuse we took walking off the pitch past supporters of both sides was a massive eye opener. I've tried my best not to have a go at the ref ever since while playing and from the sidelines. A truly thankless job. I will listen to that podcast during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Irish Examiner article about the interview here for anyone interested.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40037585.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Irish Examiner article about the interview here for anyone interested.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40037585.html

Sounds more like a pride ambassador than a referee at this stage....

Yawn.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

greenspurs wrote: »

Yawn.

Yeh I would tend to agree. I'm not sure what place a pride flag would have flying in corker. It's not a GAA team or province etc.

I see he has now decided to go back and ref following on from the successful Cul Camps. The cynic in me says that inter county is getting closer and that may have something to do with his return.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yawn.
    What a terrible take...
    Yeh I would tend to agree. I'm not sure what place a pride flag would have flying in corker. It's not a GAA team or province etc.

I see he has now decided to go back and ref following on from the successful Cul Camps. The cynic in me says that inter county is getting closer and that may have something to do with his return.
    Its the HQ. Thats why flying it there has meaning.

• Advertisement

What a terrible take...

How?

Did you read the piece quoted ?
    I know he has feck all to do with whats printed after he has said it, so maybe its just a very poor sports piece?

Its the HQ. Thats why flying it there has meaning.

Why does the hq of the GAA have to fly a flag that has nothing to do with sports (same for most sports organisations) ?
    Do token gestures mean that much to minority groups ?

How?

Did you read the piece quoted ?
    I know he has feck all to do with whats printed after he has said it, so maybe its just a very poor sports piece?
    I did. And whats wrong with him taking a stand on a major social issue like this that personally affects him day in day out.
    Why does the hq of the GAA have to fly a flag that has nothing to do with sports (same for most sports organisations)?
    Do token gestures mean that much to minority groups?
    Why do you think? It promotes some form of acceptance.
    It has everything to do with the sport.

I did. And whats wrong with him taking a stand on a major social issue like this that personally affects him day in day out.

Why do you think? It promotes some form of acceptance.
    It has everything to do with the sport.

So feeling the need to openly display your sexuality is a major social issue ?
    I don't go around all day demanding that people know im hetero !
    Why do they try so hard !

Flying a flag is acceptance?
    Even if its a token gesture ? forced by a minoritys opinion that flying a flag is a victory ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

So feeling the need to openly display your sexuality is a major social issue ?
    I don't go around all day demanding that people know im hetero !
    Why do they try so hard !

Flying a flag is acceptance?
    Even if its a token gesture ? forced by a minoritys opinion that flying a flag is a victory ?

For context, I asked David about his work with getting Pride involved with the GAA last year.

He spoke about that and how he'd love to see Croke Park lit up in the rainbow colours during Pride, the same way the Aviva and other famous Dublin landmarks are.

Don't see what the big issue is in wanting to see that?

• Advertisement

DH2K9 wrote: »
    For context, I asked David about his work with getting Pride involved with the GAA last year.

He spoke about that and how he'd love to see Croke Park lit up in the rainbow colours during Pride, the same way the Aviva and other famous Dublin landmarks are.

Don't see what the big issue is in wanting to see that?

And I don't see why it is a big issue to want it done ?

Is 'pride' a special organisation ? Why do they feel that just because they have adopted/stolen a rainbow as their emblem/colours that it needs to be plastered everywhere just for some sort of moral victory/acceptance (but its not really acceptance though , really)

And I don't see why it is a big issue to want it done ?

Is 'pride' a special organisation ? Why do they feel that just because they have adopted/stolen a rainbow as their emblem/colours that it needs to be plastered everywhere just for some sort of moral victory/acceptance (but its not really acceptance though , really)
    Because its about acceptance and you are really saying a lot about yourself with these posts.
    It isnt at all about moral victory.

I have no issue if the GAA decide to fly a pride flag. I'd say it has no signifigance really but thats just me. Its everywhere anyway.

I think David should concentrate on the reffing and step away from the media. He seems to crave it.

I'd also imagine if Inter County wasn't fast approaching David wouldn't have made himself available in Meath again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I have to say it's much better to hear him speaking as he does than either getting silence or the referees version of "sure look it we know every time we play these its a tough game but we'll give it our all"

rpurfield wrote: »
    I have to say it's much better to hear him speaking as he does than either getting silence or the referees version of "sure look it we know every time we play these its a tough game but we'll give it our all"

Possibly because other refs dont crave the camera.

Advertisement