Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent v temp

Options
  • 24-08-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Has anyone ever left a permanent job to temp?

I dispise my job, its boring, ran by a micro manager who is egotistical and sexist.

I feel trapped each interview I go for or job applied the feedback is generally we don't see how you could transfer your skills. I have worked in different jobs so can easily transfer my skillset.

I'm afraid I'm going to end up here in a role I only took out of desperation 6years ago. I have no support here and can see my mental health decline.

Thanks and sorry for the ramble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 R75MM

Hi 2 Fast,
    I'm sorry but I can't really answer to your question regarding going to a "temp" role however for me personally I absolutely prefer a permanent role.

That said though, you have to be happy is whatever job your in. For me, 70% of that is the people I'm working with - if I can get on with the people I'm working with then I'll more or less do anything.

Everyone has transferable skills, and the fact that you are getting even an interview must give you a brilliant confidence boost. Can I just suggest that you get some interview coaching/CV coaching skills? If you do go down this route, have a job in mind that you will apply for and then follow it through with a professional.

You are not trapped, quite the opposite if your getting called for interviews etc. Get some help "selling yourself" and pick the right job for you! 6 years experience in any company shows great commitment; your not hopping from one company to another.

Chin up, smile, you'll get there.

- R7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

My advice is don't leave your job right now unless you are ok with potentially being unemployed for a long time.

As you state yourself, your interviews aren't going well. There's also a virus which is killing the economy.

Figure out a way to make your job bearable. I would start by improving the relationship with your manager. See it as a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭thefa

If the feedback from multiple interviews has been that they are struggling to see how your skills are transferable, then I think that is on you rather than them. You’re getting interviews so must have a reasonable shot at these roles due to your experience/cv but are not illustrating it on the day. I’ve tried interviewing for jobs before that I’m more than qualified before on paper but I’d really underestimated the importance of interview prep. As per the previous poster, if you can get some coaching or even follow some techniques like the STAR with examples relevant to the job spec will help you a lot.

As for the main question, it’s a risk reward query where you’re weighing up the financial risk versus your happiness. If you are that unhappy at work and have a rainy day fund built up, then it would be well worth trying in my opinion. I left a permanent role for no role when I was very unhappy for a number of months and went without for a couple of months. Worth it in the end for me but required a bit of luck and effort.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

2 fast wrote: »
    I feel trapped each interview I go for or job applied the feedback is generally we don't see how you could transfer your skills. I have worked in different jobs so can easily transfer my skillset.

OK, but why would you expect to do any better at convincing them to give you a temporary job?

If anything, to live as a freelancer you need to be much better at interviewing than most people because you need to land a high percentage of the jobs you go in for....

I appreciate your desire for change, but I don't think this is the best approach... I'd say sit tight, figure out what you want to do and then make a plan on how to achieve it via training etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

If you know you're going to be asked this, then beat them to the chase.

Bring it up with examples of how the skills you currently would be of benefit to their business and how well you can adapt to change & upskilling based on more examples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I had to get out of my last job so took a risk and left a permanent role for a fixed term contract (9 months) that at the time was told 'could be' converted to perm.

Meant I had to cover the family VHI and no pension contribution for 6 months, luckily by that time the risk paid off and I was made permanent.

Is there any chance the contract role could move to perm? Do you know much about the company (other opportunities once you prove yourself)?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭2 fast

Thank you all so much for your advice. It really has helped, I needed an outside prospective! I definitely like the idea of a career coach, someone to shed a light and give me some new tips etc.

Would anyone recommend any? I googled and there is so many and they all seem to vary in price etc. I don't mind Dublin or Cork area as I'd travel plus everything is through Zoom these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 R75MM

Thank you all so much for your advice. It really has helped, I needed an outside prospective! I definitely like the idea of a career coach, someone to shed a light and give me some new tips etc.

Would anyone recommend any? I googled and there is so many and they all seem to vary in price etc. I don't mind Dublin or Cork area as I'd travel plus everything is through Zoom these days!

Hi 2 fast,
    Google 'Coburn Guidance' as he is who I have used previously. He helps in both CV writing but also in interviewing skills however there are many, many choices out there.

To be clear, I have no connection to Coburn Guidance.

Another option - register with a recruitment agency; use their skills and advise - remember they only get money if they can get you through a interview!

Best of luck,
    -R7

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you are in Co Cork, then get in touch with Dress for Success Cork - they are an organisation that assist women with getting into employment or changing employment and offer a professional career coaching, CV review and interview prep, free of charge (they are a registered charity).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Has anyone ever left a permanent job to temp?

Yes probably cost me 2 steps backward to move.
    Then a couple of years to move back up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement