Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed up spraying a tank

Options
  • 22-08-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Complete novice here, and know spray painting is an art in itself, but...

I spent a day rubbing and prepping a petrol tank on my bike, used 2 cans of gloss black, leaving each coat to dry for about 20 minutes or so.

Finally used a can of laquer, again leaving to dry between coats.

The brand is Hycote and to me the gloss looked almost like Matt and after polishing at the end the result was horrible, just not very glossy nor shiny...

Left to dry in a warm room for 3 days.

When filling her with gogo juice a tiny dribble went down the tank and by the time it took me to grab a rag the petrol had melted the paint down to the metal, what on earth is going on anyone please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭listermint

First, you didn't leave the coats to dry long enough between coats , you should have done a prep Job on the paint before the laquer. I.e when the paint was fully dry let's say next day. You sand it down with high grade paper. The. Laquer two minimum coats. You may have to polish the laquer once set. That could take a week in reality.

You've done it all too fast the paint and laquer never set properly and wasn't sanded in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

listermint wrote: »
    First,... laquer never set properly and wasn't sanded in between.

10/4

Thanks a millions

Advertisement