Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a 00's car as a classic

Options
  • 22-08-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of anywhere that will insure a 01 car as a classic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Chubb or FBD might do a 01 as a classics, but it all depends on the make an model so you'll have to call and ask

For example:

01 Mazda MX5, no problem as a classic

01 Lexus IS200, probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought for a car to be insured as a classic car it has to actually be a classic so like at least 30 years old.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

AMKC wrote: »
    I thought for a car to be insured as a classic car it has to actually be a classic so like at least 30 years old.

Not necessarily, different insurers have different cut offs for how old it needs to be, and most will decide based on what the car is and who the customer is, rather than the year.

A funny system really

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Is there a cut off point for an older car, lets say mid 70's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

You'll need another car on a full policy. I've a 99 on a classic policy but I was required to have a full policy on a daily driver basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I was lucky as driving an 89 chariot import and was covered in a garage policy and cheap car tax also,happy days.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

greasepalm wrote: »
    I was lucky as driving an 89 chariot import and was covered in a garage policy and cheap car tax also,happy days.

Do you have to be a business for a garage policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

kadman wrote: »

We are a business but unsure if a person would qualify for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

kadman wrote: »

They are quite strict on this these days, too many people getting garage policies who were not garages, just to insure multiple cars. You can still get open drive on the odd policy, but lots of catches as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm in a similar position to original poster. Have just bought a 2002 Toyota Celica as (future) classic. Would like to insure it and keep it moving while I address issues with bodywork, etc.

I have a main car and have been insured for almost 40 years. I'm hopeful a broker will be able to help. Is there any broker or company I should start with to get this 'second' insurance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement