Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold water pump very noisy at times

Options
  • 22-08-2020 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4untJAbA49I

Cold water tank pump.

Pump is working fine, 3 years old, been like this from new.

Might only happen a few times a week, always when kids asleep..

Any ideas what is causing this and how it can be stopped?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

Seems to me like its pump cavitation that is occurring. Google this and see if it matches your symptoms.

If there is a speed setting on the pump, try lowering it. Failing this, you may need a plumber to replace the pump and see what changes he can make to prevent it occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Yea it sounds like cavitation alright but the water pressure at the outlet does not change.

The pump gauge rattles but the pumps works as normal until the tap that was running is shut off.

As soon as that tap is turned on again the rattle stops.

There is no adjustment on the pump itself but another gauge with valve at the outlet side.

I have turned this down a half turn and I'll keep an eye on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Hey CaptainCoPilot, lowering the pressure did actually make a huge difference and we very rarely hear the rattle now.

Hot water has lost a bit of pressure but can live with that..

So in the future if we ever go to replace that pump ya reckon we need a better/bigger pump to keep system pressurised without getting that rattle back?

Advertisement