Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint assessment

Options
  • 22-08-2020 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    Looking for some help. I’ve read through previous threads and can’t get my head around it. Got married in 2018, we’re both still separately assessed for tax purposes. Herself is taking unpaid leave from sept to january now, so my thinking is it could be beneficial to be jointly assessed so I would have some if her tax credits?
    She’s working as a teacher so not on huge salary, I’m public sector also , on approx 40k each. Does this seem like a good idea?
    The options on revenue are

1.We request to divide the tax credits and rate bands equally between us
    2. We request to allocate all transferable tax credits and rate bands to the nominated assessable spouse
    3. We request to allocate all transferable tax credits and rate bands to the non-assessable spouse
    4. We know our tax credits and rate bands and request to manually allocate them

If I chose option 1 would they automatically allocate some of her credits to me once she goes on unpaid leave? Or should I wait until she’s on unpaid then select option 2 (Me) ?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Summer2020 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Looking for some help. I’ve read through previous threads and can’t get my head around it. Got married in 2018, we’re both still separately assessed for tax purposes. Herself is taking unpaid leave from sept to january now, so my thinking is it could be beneficial to be jointly assessed so I would have some if her tax credits?
    She’s working as a teacher so not on huge salary, I’m public sector also , on approx 40k each. Does this seem like a good idea?
    The options on revenue are

1.We request to divide the tax credits and rate bands equally between us
    2. We request to allocate all transferable tax credits and rate bands to the nominated assessable spouse
    3. We request to allocate all transferable tax credits and rate bands to the non-assessable spouse
    4. We know our tax credits and rate bands and request to manually allocate them

If I chose option 1 would they automatically allocate some of her credits to me once she goes on unpaid leave? Or should I wait until she’s on unpaid then select option 2 (Me) ?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated

There is no automatic transfer ever. You have to ask for changes to be made.
    Request joint assessment and the transfer of available credits from when your spouse is on unpaid leave.
    I'm not sure but there appears to be a cut off date in the year of 31 march. This probably means you will have to wait til year end to arrange things.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/marital-status/marriage-and-civil-partnerships/joint-assessment.aspx

Advertisement