Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palmerstown

Options
  • 22-08-2020 12:00pm

What do posters think of this area?
    There are big well built houses around the oval, & they seem like great value for Dublin.
    Why is it so cheap? I get its close to Ballyfermot, but everywhere in Dublin is close to somewhere not as desirable!
    so, any insight? Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Duffers1983

bubblypop wrote: »
    What do posters think of this area?
    There are big well built houses around the oval, & they seem like great value for Dublin.
    Why is it so cheap? I get its close to Ballyfermot, but everywhere in Dublin is close to somewhere not as desirable!
    so, any insight? Am I missing something?

Nice quiet area around by the oval. Great transportation links and near by amenities. Schools aren't great as they draw in quite a few undesirables from ballyfermot and rougher parts of clondalkin near liffey Valley. Its a decent area to move too and good quality houses for the price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My part of town so maybe a little bias but great transport, Liffey Valley & Waterstown Park on your doorstep, Phoenix Park just a little further. Has a lot going for it.

Friends have looked at houses around the Oval and the Avenue and have found some of the lower end of the price scale need a lot of work done in terms of windows, insulation, kitchens etc so that could be influencing some of what you're seeing. Some parts of Palmerstown are quite noisy with the motorway too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I live close to Lucan/Leixlip so know the area well and know those houses. Very quiet area but as you say All areas are close to somewhere less desirable. Close to city, terrific public transport. Area is well underpriced in my opinion. Strange that Lucan which is further from the city is more expensive even though parts of it are really clondalkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I'm originally from Gelanulin Road which is just a few streets away from the Oval. My Father is still living there so I know the area well.

Pros:
    -In general the area is very quite and settled
    -Very solid well built houses. I grew up in a mid-terrace and would rarely hear noises from the houses either side
    -Very large back gardens
    -Wide roads (ample on street parking)
    -Excellent transportation links to and from the City Centre
    -Close to a number of excellent amenities
    -Houses under priced
    -Primary school/shops within walking distance

Cons:
    -That area is reasonable close to Ballyfermot. When I was growing up there was occasionally trouble. But things have really quietened down the last 15 years
    -While the Primary school still has a very good reputation, the Secondary school less so
    -The age demographic of that area is older. So when houses come on the market they generally require some work done. So you may need to put in an extra 10/20 K in to the house
    -As the area is older there doesn't tend to be a lot of children around. If you do have a young family this might be an issue.

Hope the above helps

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

On the secondary schools, most in my my 6th class girls primary went to either Lucan or Rathmines, very few went to the local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Did you make a decision OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MikeyH72

Great information on palmerstown. Thanks!! Lived in glenaulin road years (lots!!) And remember it as a lovely time in my childhood. Went there today. It actually hasnt changed that much. Seems like the community spirit is still there which is fantastic to see.

Advertisement