Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Converting from mechanical to Di2

• 22-08-2020 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of converting a Trek emonda mechanical r8000 ultegra to Di2. Keeping the rim brakes, mainly for the savings in weight.
    Di2's with rim brakes are few and far between on the market so i thought this is an option worth considering.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/video/mechanical-vs-electronic-groupsets-which-is-lighter

If my maths are correct, you will save 141 grammes by changing from Ultegra mechanical to Ultegra Di2.
    If it's purely for weight loss, I don't think it's worth it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have it in rim break and disc brake. Wouldn’t go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

godtabh wrote: »
    I have it in rim break and disc brake. Wouldn’t go back.

+1. Wouldn't go back. DI2 is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TerryDi2Center

If you want to run the wiring internally, keep in mid that the Di2 plug is about 5mm in diameter. This means the wires won't fit through standard (internal) cable stops, but most frames come with removable cable stops nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

If you want to run the wiring internally, keep in mid that the Di2 plug is about 5mm in diameter. This means the wires won't fit through standard (internal) cable stops, but most frames come with removable cable stops nowadays.

Is the new cabling not under 3mm diameter? I thought it was only the first version that was 5mm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is the new cabling not under 3mm diameter? I thought it was only the first version that was 5mm?

The cable itself is thin but the plug end is slightly bigger, maybe 3/4mm.

I upgraded my S-Works Roubaix (SL4) from mechanic 6800 to R8050 earlier this year. Bought the groupset in the pre Xmas sales and fitted it myself. I bought a Di2 grommet kit from Specialized and everything else was included in the groupset inc brake inner/outer cables and the plug tool.

Setting it up was a breeze and it works flawlessl and overall the bike is roughly 150g lighter than it was.

Rim brakes have been about since god was a boy and are more than most people need for leisure riding or even racing. I have fulcrum carbon wheels and the braking with them is absolutely excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Thanks guys, the disc weight is one of the reasons I want to stay with rim brakes, I had a Giant defy disc a few years ago and there was definitely more than 114 grammes of a difference .
    Another reason of course is the smoothness of gear changing and indexing accuracy, mechanical can be erratic at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have Di2 on the good bike and mostly Ultegra mechanical on the commuter/winter bike and the Di2 is excellent. If I could afford Di2 on every bike, I’d do it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TerryDi2Center

Yep, the wires are about 2/3mm, but the plug is bigger. Here are some images:

imgur.com/a/GJWyzqN (I'm not allowed to post links yet, so you'll have to copy/paste this yourself.. sorry.. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Yep, the wires are about 2/3mm, but the plug is bigger. Here are some images:

imgur.com/a/GJWyzqN (I'm not allowed to post links yet, so you'll have to copy/paste this yourself.. sorry.. ;))

Ah ya sorry, the older one was 8mm and now down to 5mm, i thought it was 5 down to 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Advertisement