Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Old diesel MIGHT buy.....

Options
  • 21-08-2020 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭

With up to 28 k to spend.....

I see that I could have.

Big battery eGolf (35.8 kwh)

Ioniq 28.

At around half the budget I could have a 30 kwh Leaf..

These all have their own threads.

As I understand it - the Ioniq is or should be the best EV. Efficient, actively cooled LG Chem battery and generally well liked (in 28 kwh) by EV community.

eGolf is probably the nicest car but no active cooling (ditto Leaf)

I think 90 to 100 miles is sufficient range for our family needs. On the eGolf (based on Charlie Irls experience) and 30 kwh Leaf that's potentially tight.

However I dont mind putting a few miles in at a charger (rapid or slow) to make up a few miles.

Is Ioniq 28 still a good idea or is eGolf still worthwhile.

Obviously negotiations on eGolf will need to reflect the fact ID3 is coming.....

The other curve ball is that by stretching 2 k or so - you could buy a brand new e208 or a CCS equipped Zoe.

So.....

eGolf Vs Ioniq thoughts????.

2nd hand eGolf/Ioniq Vs new e208????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Old diesel wrote: »

I see that I could have.

Ioniq 28.

As I understand it - the Ioniq is or should be the best EV. Efficient, actively cooled LG Chem battery and generally well liked (in 28 kwh) by EV community.

I think 90 to 100 miles is sufficient range for our family needs. On the eGolf (based on Charlie Irls experience) and 30 kwh Leaf that's potentially tight.

However I dont mind putting a few miles in at a charger (rapid or slow) to make up a few miles.

Obviously negotiations on eGolf will need to reflect the fact ID3 is coming.....

The other curve ball is that by stretching 2 k or so - you could buy a brand new e208 or a CCS equipped Zoe.

So.....

Tough question as most will have no experience of the e208. From experience the eGolf is fantastic & has CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

I see that I could have.

Ioniq 28.

So.....

A second hand Ioniq can be bought for a lot less than your budget, isn't there a very recent one for sale by someone from this parish?

I like the 208, but it is a smaller car. I am average height but wouldn't like to be going far in the back.

A relation of ours just bought an eGolf executive. Lovely car, but parked beside our Ioniq I thought it looked lower and smaller. But definitely a more upmarket product than the Ioniq. Range appears to be very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

eGolf Vs Ioniq thoughts????

I liked the eGolf but the range was a major issue. No heatpump so it was particularly bad in winter, when I had it for a weekend.

My advice would be to test drive one, if possible 24 hours/overnight & put some kilometres on it.
    Most here would recommend an Ioniq over an eGolf to be honest - it really has legendary status. I'm biased too, having owned one :).
    eagerv wrote: »
    A second hand Ioniq can be bought for a lot less than your budget, isn't there a very recent one for sale by someone from this parish?

That's true - it was/is mine & is available in Phil's in Electric Autos.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113752908&postcount=779

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FaIIcon

I've a renault zoe 50KW with CCS and it's quite superb. You're gonna just have that bit more range to play with than the golf! I've been doing long distance journeys with maybe 40% motorway and getting great range, sitting on the speed limit, not conserving much. I do use eco mode when I'm not on motorway as it works below 102 km/h and regenerative braking mode always.

I'd look into the zoe pal, it's one of the best priced EV's with the range you get. The new infotainment screen is very nice too, and you have your android auto etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Has to be e-golf all day long. There is a gulf between it in terms of quality and the other options mentioned. Ioniq gets a lot of praise for being efficient and having rapid charging. Those things only matter if your exceeding the full charge range of a car regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Fully loaded Leaf40 Tekna would come in well under budget and have plenty of overhead for the range you need. Lovely comfortable car inside with a much bigger boot than the eGolf.

Also some Leaf62s showing up in the UK under €30k now. Doesn’t sound like you need the extra range, but it would be enough that you wouldn’t worry about range again. Self driving, AEB, CarPlay, leather heated everything front and back...

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Similar to Zenith, if range isn't a driving factor (eGolf and Ioniq both do what you want comfortably), then what is?
    I'd weigh up the utility of the car (what you practically need it to do - kids, dogs, loading space), the cost, the tech and the looks. I only know the Ioniq myself, but it replaced my old passat CC, so a golf would have been too small for driving around our stuff. The tech is pretty decent (android auto/carplay, adaptive cruise, lane keep assistance, heated seats. The looks are so so. Price of the Ioniq will be cheaper than the golf too. The 2019 version didn't add much over the 2017 (heated steering wheel as standard was about the height of it), and 2017s can be got for around 18k+ still with 2 years warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

As others have said size wise Zoe, golf, Ioniq, leaf are all different depending on needs.

No heat pump means golf is less efficient in deep winter when also the battery produces less range too. Also shape of golf is not efficient. Ioniq does 160km worst case, 190km typically. Charging rate on Ioniq is typically 50kw on 50kW chargers which means it fills back up quick so 20 minute stop instead of 40 minutes of say leaf.

The 50kWh battery in Zoe, with CCS option would have much greater range meaning you might not need to stop at all for say a Dublin Galway run.

Public charging is a pain with many chargers broken blocked or busy, so you want to avoid having to do it, particularly if your family is with you. If you have access to a petrol car for long runs then an EV makes sense. If you are doing 100 miles commute per day then fuel savings will be in the order of 2,000 per year. If you go through a toll its half price daily. If you do low mileage savings will not be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Take a serious look at the MG ZS. Boot is massive by EV standards so it's very versatile. 45 kWh water cooled battery so degradation shouldn't be any issue.
    28k should be plenty to budget an import. Actually I'd probably sell mine for that if interested :D

Advertisement