Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I've Got This IBC .....

Options
  • 21-08-2020 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

:) Gonna cut it down and make a new tank, for my snapper. Been planning it for ever now. Still buying bits for and trying to nail the design for the filter set up. For ever watching chubes of people doing similar such things. Always with this vague, and somewhat uncertain, notion that I'll probably try using my little angle grinder, to cut the cage and the plastic with ....?

Popped one open, the other day. This guy says; " Here I have an IBC. I'm going to cut it down and make a fish tank out of it. So, first off, I get my Reciprocating Saw ....."

:eek: That thing went through the steel and the plastic! Flawless job!

I was in the creamery today. I said; " Good lord, Fiona! Isn't That a Reciprocating Saw ...?! "

What's a man to do?! :D

P8210465e.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

Well wear. They're a great yoke...just not a finessing tool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

My neighbour's up the track, as I type this. I'm so excited about my new toy, I rang him and suggested he drop by to see it!

Yeah, it's certainly Not a tool I'll be trying to cut dovetails with. Actually standing around, trying to dream up scenarios where I will use it! But, what the hell; It's a tool. I like it. And it's mine! Man can't have too many tools! :D

Lovely thing about this one is the Control the trigger gives ye! I can make it go slow and gentle. Suit a Pointer Sister kind of thing ;) Or, press down on that trigger and it goes frantic!

Point of interest? Our man on the chube says Milwaukee blades are the absolute Dogs. Dunno why. He swears by them though. Off to Amazon, methinks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Stigura wrote: »
    My neighbour's up the track, as I type this. I'm so excited about my new toy, I rang him and suggested he drop by to see it!

Yeah, it's certainly Not a tool I'll be trying to cut dovetails with. Actually standing around, trying to dream up scenarios where I will use it! But, what the hell; It's a tool. I like it. And it's mine! Man can't have too many tools! :D

Lovely thing about this one is the Control the trigger gives ye! I can make it go slow and gentle. Suit a Pointer Sister kind of thing ;) Or, press down on that trigger and it goes frantic!

Point of interest? Our man on the chube says Milwaukee blades are the absolute Dogs. Dunno why. He swears by them though. Off to Amazon, methinks! :D

milwaukee blades are the dogs dangles but they are expensive. crazy money this side of the atlantic especially the fancier ones.
    i use lennox ones myself and they are brilliant. dear but well worth it. i use cheap aldi (amazon,screwfix , bnq tyoes ones) ones for jobs that are going to ruin them rather than use them. like cutting tree roots or blocked sewer pipes etc, . no need to ruin a good blade when a crap one is 10% of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Stigura wrote: »

That reminded me of this video I saw a couple of years ago Stig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcytGDZIo-s

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcytGDZIo-s

Next challenge, making porridge with a cement mixer!

• Advertisement

:eek: Bloody hell! Though, in truth; I'd never even dream of attempting doves with a tenon saw!

Lumen wrote: »

Mixed rat bait in one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

ive mixed cement in an old chest freezer before bringing it for recycle. :D

My Makita recip saw arrived today. Inspired by this thread, I did some reading and discovered that you can do flush cuts with a long bendy blade. So I got some 225mm Bosch blades and a bare tool cordless saw for about 100 quid or so.

Much destruction will ensue.

IMG-20200828-211034.jpg

Much destruction will ensue.

Much stout was just spat clear across the room!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I don't have one of these. Helped a lad a couple of weeks ago strip down his as there was a problem. Eventually got into the gear housing where the main drive gear is driven by the worm gear on the armature.

Here's the problem. There was lots of grease in the housing but it was all around the outskirts of the housing. No grease was getting to the gearing at all. It was running bone dry and the drive gear was totally striped of teeth.

Top Tip: If I did have one of these I think I'd stir up the grease every now and then.
    Rubbish design. It was a cheap brand but prob a direct copy of better brands.

• Advertisement

O M F G!!! :eek: I've just used it. First time ever. Galvy straps. Hot Knife Through Soft Butter!!!

Wow! Just, Wow!

Sent for a set of Bosch blades, last night, lads.

Amazon. About €20 / 25? Can't remember how many. But, the point is they come in a plastic case. I'm a sucker for cases! :D

I saw a case of Milwaukee ones. Wouldn't send to Ireland. I wondered why. Then I spotted they were in US. Fair play.

Those were as reasonably priced as the ones I got though. Then, I saw the Milwaukee " Torch " and " Axe " blades! :eek: Jeezuss F***ing Christ! Staggering!

Had my saw out, Again, today. This has to qualify for the Most 'I didn't realise I needed it, till I got it!' piece of kit out there?! Please note that I have Hand, Jig, Bow, Chain, Mitre and Circular saws. Possibly even something I've forgot?

I used three of them, today. But, when I had to rip down some old pallet? Looking back? I think the Chain saw would have been the only other option.

What; Fuel it up. Fire it up. Have the room full of exhaust fumes and my ears whistling with the roar?

Naah. Plugged This bad boy in and had at it! Job done in the time it would have taken me to sort the chain out!

Absolutely gets the Stigura Gold Seal of Approval! :cool:

What say you, Lumen?

Woodworking chainsaws are actually a thing.

I have an electric chainsaw so no fumes but safety would be the big issue attempting any kind of close up work.

When I was cutting joints into hardwood beams I had to resort to hand saws, but I reckon now I might start with a circular saw and then finish with the recip..

:D As this was supposed to be about my IBC ..... I'd, recently, used my angle grinder to cut the top off the cage? My mate was round and was mortified at the razor like nibs left on the steel.

Well, yesterday, I set about cutting the cage right down, to the size I needed it. And I needed to cut the plastic box too.

Popped in a brand new, Bosch hacky blade and had at it. Life Altering!!! :eek: Went through those steel bars like they were made of ice cream! Left a nib so smooth, ye could leave a baby to play with them!

As for the plastic box? ;)

Turtle-Tank-In-The-Making.jpg

Advertisement