Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Don't Know Which Way To Turn!

Options
  • 20-08-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

:confused: I have one of these self seating 'Tap' things. On my water pipe, to feed my washing machine. Ye know the ones?

Well, machine hasn't been used for over five years ~ let's not go there! Now, it won't work. And I've figured out it's not getting fed water.

I managed to loosen the plastic nut at the Machine end. Water showed, obviously. But, I'm imagining something's gone amiss at the 'Tap' end? Where it's clamped to the copper?

Stop cock's below the damn thing. Split that plastic nut and I'm doing a Noah! I can make it move, with the mole grips. Only, I'm terrified of wrenching it the wrong way and going biblical :(

Left, or right, please? Head says left. Heart says leave well enough alone and ask!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

Stopcock is clockwise to turn off the water.

A picture would help here. Sounds like you have a saddle valve connected into your mains feed for the washing machine and the location of this valve is preventing you from turning the stop cock?

You could also shut off the water at your meter, if you have one. Its simple, there should be a blue handle that you turn clockwise a quarter of a turn to shut off the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Stigura wrote: »
    :confused: I have one of these self seating 'Tap' things. On my water pipe, to feed my washing machine. Ye know the ones?

Well, machine hasn't been used for over five years ~ let's not go there! Now, it won't work. And I've figured out it's not getting fed water.

I managed to loosen the plastic nut at the Machine end. Water showed, obviously. But, I'm imagining something's gone amiss at the 'Tap' end? Where it's clamped to the copper?

!
    Why do you think it’s the tap end if you have water at the machine?
    Is the pressure low at the machine.
    If the pressure is okay I would look at the inlet control on the machine which may be seized due to lack of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

P8210465.jpg
    Thanks, guys. Here's the set up. Just dashing out the door. Back presently to properly digest what ye saying.

:confused: Okay, guys; This is just bloody Weird, now! Listen to this!

Just got home. Bought a new hose while I was in town. In case I buggered the one I have. Good, eh? ;)

But, here's the bit: I managed Not to wreck anything. I got the hose off the little silver tap. Okay? Then, I turned the tap on? No Water!!!

I turned the brass tap below it, on the same pipe? Water! So, it seems like there's water in the copper pipe. I can make it appear by turning the brass tap on (That feeds a hose pipe. But, never mind all that)

But, that very same water is refusing to come out of the little, silvery tap?!

I'm lost, lads. And I Really want to get my washing machine going. Any ideas, please?

Okay. Closing this thread down! Wow!

My neighbour's just been here. He's a cattle farmer. Not a professional plumber. But, suffice it to say that he takes care of all the water pipes round here? He knows a spanner from a connector.

He's just dismantled the entire little tap. He's dug a bit of wire in the hole. He's scratched his head. He's swore. He's stared at me like I've got two heads. We've stared at the offending pipe. No Water Coming Out!

After thirty minutes of trying to fathom this mind bending glitch in the matrix of my kitchen? We've finally reached agreement:

We'll put the nasty little tap back together again. He'll grab me a new one, tomorrow. We'll fit that, a bit higher up the pipe and I should have water back to my washing machine, as before.

And we shall swear a solemn vow: Never to speak of that other one again. It's just Too brain damaging.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

How am I not sat here, in tears?! Allow me a little rant, lads? Listen to This ....!

Yesterday, my brand new, self cutting tap arrived. But, I was doing a monstrous task. Day and a halfs work, for two men, in one day, alone. Far too much pain to contemplate spending five minutes fitting my new tap.

Today then; Less aches and at least slept like the dead. Let's get this new tap on and try that machine! :) Now, granted, I should have watched the three minute chube about them first :o My bad. But, I did it before through common sense.

Had a spot of bother with one screw. Figured it'd sort itself out. Pierced the pipe ..... :rolleyes: I swear to god, it's an absolute miracle that I randomly spotted a mop, the other day, and thought, " Oh. I need a new mop. Having recently slung the old one. "

Ye see where this is going? FFS! To my credit, Pat came for a look see and totally agreed with me: I'd been sent the, probably, one in a million taps with a dodgily cut screw thread!!! :mad: I couldn't make this sh*t up!!!

Upshot? Pat's going to cut out the entire, cursed, bit of pipe. (We'll probably bury it in salt, with a stake through it, or something!) And fit me in a new bit, with a purpose made, permanent and proper washing machine connection point on it :) Pat's my hero!

But, that's tomorrow. Now? I'm sitting here with Zero water. Drinking bloody beer, because it's the only liquid I have. Dreading my dinner, with no gravy. Dreading waking up tomorrow, gasping for tea. Waiting for Pat.

And, all the time, I'm wondering:

https://vimeo.com/454001355

Advertisement