Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TVheadend question

Options
  • 20-08-2020 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm thinking of setting up a TVheadend server for Saorview. Am I better off having two seperate servers for each mux or would one be sufficent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

River Suir wrote: »
    I'm thinking of setting up a TVheadend server for Saorview. Am I better off having two seperate servers for each mux or would one be sufficent?

One instance of tvheadend server can handle multiple tuners ..... I have had 10 tuners being managed by tvh.

If you gave some details of what you propose to achieve with what devices then maybe your question would be easier answer usefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭River Suir

I’d like to have all my Saorview viewing served up around the house and to allow one or two different channels to be watched Or recorded on different devices regardless of which mux is being tuned. Would two tuners on one server be sufficient and should I use a PC rather than a raspberry Pi as the server. Also which tuners are the best to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

River Suir wrote: »
    I’d like to have all my Saorview viewing served up around the house and to allow one or two different channels to be watched Or recorded on different devices regardless of which mux is being tuned. Would two tuners on one server be sufficient and should I use a PC rather than a raspberry Pi as the server. Also which tuners are the best to use?

Two DVB-T tuners are sufficient for Saorview, as all the channels are divided between two broadcast frequencies.
    I have recorded and played multiple channels from each mux/frequency without bother.

saorview.png

The above is on my PC which is capable of playing multiple programs at once. A client device would only have one at a time of course.

A R-Pi or similar small low powered device is plenty as the tuner management and server device.
    It can also be used with a HDD as the central repository for all recorded programs so they are available to all connected clients. I find it much more convenient to have all such media in one location rather than scattered amongst different client devices.

My personal favourite is to use LibreELEC or CoreELEC as the OS for the server device, and run Kodi on the client device/TV which takes the feed from the server using a TVH client plugin for Kodi.
    For TVs that do not have Kodi available I use equally small (and cheap) devices as client devices, again running the same OS as the server. This keeps management of all devices simple as all settings are the same essentially.

Regarding tuners ...... you can use a couple of €10 DVB-T USB tuners attached to the server (you might need a powered USB hub for them) or something like a network attached tuner box such as the HDHomerun Duo.
    TVHeadend will find network attached tuners and make them available to clients as required.

TVH server will also manage EPG, recording and timeshift etc and Kodi on the clients will show the info.

If you want to add Free to Air satellite channels it is just a matter of adding a network tuner box to the mix and configuring TVH server to use that also.

My set up has been running for a few years now, using the cheapest small devices I could find and using only free and open source software. Mostly I use cheap Chinese Android boxes that are chosen specifically as suitable for one of the two OSs mentioned. They even have 4K capability and cost between €25 and €40 each. So one for the server and one each for each display (if Kodi is not built in).

There are some threads in this section from several users describing their setups. I would advise reading them and familiarising yourself with how things were done to get a successful outcome.

Advertisement