Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speedtest

Options
  • 20-08-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering why when you do a speed test that the lines start off low and then pick up then level off - why do they always start off low?

FTTH 150 connection connected by wired ethernet

523650.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm with Eir and mine does the same. My speedtests usually look frozen most of the time and the speed only updates right at the end of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dam099

If I was of a suspicious nature I’d say it’s your ISP recognising you are doing a speed test and switching off the throttling :)

Seriously though I’ve had it on multiple ISPs over the years so assume there is a valid technical explanation. I think the Speedtests generally increase the size of the test files as they see what your connection is capable of so may be related to that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I just realized now the OP is with Digiweb, the reason why his upload increased from 30 to 50 is because Digiweb no longer offer 150/30 or 300/50. Their minimum plan on both OpenEir and Siro is now 500/50. His upload is correct but his download should be around 476-480 if he was upgraded to 500 by Digiweb. You should probably get on to Digiweb and see can you get your download upgraded to 500 as part of the free upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,777 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Gonzo wrote: »
    I just realized now the OP is with Digiweb, the reason why his upload increased from 30 to 50 is because Digiweb no longer offer 150/30 or 300/50. Their minimum plan on both OpenEir and Siro is now 500/50. His upload is correct but his download should be around 476-480 if he was upgraded to 500 by Digiweb. You should probably get on to Digiweb and see can you get your download upgraded to 500 as part of the free upgrade.

oooh I am liking the sound of this very much! :eek:

never heard a been off them about it , they would have my details such as home address / email address and phone number - you would think with all that info they would keep their existing customers updated by newsletters .

I shall give them a call , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The two communicating endpoints don't know what the goodput of the link between them is. They start slow and then ramp upwards until they can't get any faster. Expected behavior.

• Advertisement
Advertisement