Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood scour

Options
  • 20-08-2020 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

6 week old calf with blood scour I gave 40 mo of vecoxin today 20 this morning calf is not his best would ye give anything else haven't had it in years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

lab man wrote: »
    6 week old calf with blood scour I gave 40 mo of vecoxin today 20 this morning calf is not his best would ye give anything else haven't had it in years

I d give him a shot of nuflor and half a pack of Sulpha powder this evening and give him the other half of the sulpha powder tomorrow evening.

Is he lively and sucking the cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Might be no harm to ring the vet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭893bet

We had an out break last winter and used the below to treat the sick and to vaccinate the rest.

https://www.farmacy.co.uk/mobile/products/6972-baycox-50mgml-oral-suspension-for-cows-pigs-and-sheep-250ml

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

have had 3 or strong weanlings get it in last month, has one lad ruined, havent had it for years and all would have gotten bovicox as calves, would give it to all calves..really knocks hell outta calves
    id say all the wet grass the last 2 months hasnt helped

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Electrolytes 2 litres 3 times a day if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Thanks lads I done all the calves with coxon the day he was born and forgot to do him should the other calves be redone again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Sulphur powders work well, I've had outbreaks the past number of years and when one gets it a few more usually follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Thanks lads I done all the calves with coxon the day he was born and forgot to do him should the other calves be redone again
    They wouldnt get it until they are at least 2 weeks old. I used to do new born calves and vet told me I was wasting my time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

whelan2 wrote: »
    They wouldnt get it until they are at least 2 weeks old. I used to do new born calves and vet told me I was wasting my time and money

I think he means he did the other calves the day this lad was born & left hin out as he was too young? That's the way I read it.

Not had it here in years tg, so useful thread for me to read over.

Yes the calf was born when the rest were done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

tanko wrote: »
    I d give him a shot of nuflor and half a pack of Sulpha powder this evening and give him the other half of the sulpha powder tomorrow evening.

Is he lively and sucking the cow?

Wow - just lashing the top line antibiotics in eh?

This is shocking in a public forum - these animals will enter the food chain.

People reading this forum will think farmers fire drugs into food animals willy-nilly based on ould ****e advice they got online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

LostCovey wrote: »
    Wow - just lashing the top line antibiotics in eh?

This is shocking in a public forum - these animals will enter the food chain.

People reading this forum will think farmers fire drugs into food animals willy-nilly based on ould ****e advice they got online

You are assuming they will have access to any line of anti-biotics without Veterinary advice and a prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I have been plagued with coccidiosis for the last 5 years. Last year was the first year I got on top of it 10 days old vecoxan 31 days old vecoxan 52 days old vecoxan. Any calf that showed signs of a watery smelly scour vecoxan and bimistat. It was the first year I kept it at bay and no scour. It would run through the whole shed. I nearly lost calf’s one year one calf started passing bits of his intestine

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

You only need to do him once with vecoxan. That will kill all the bad fellas for a while. What you need to focus on now is getting the gutt and stomach back to normal. I did not not have much success with yellow sulpha powders. I found bimistat worked best. Consult your vet dose twice daily until the calf starts to improve and dry up. Don’t keep treating with bimistat once he has turned the corner as you will bind him up. I have had to it for a week to ten days. But it works.
    Be ready for more. I would go out straight away and dose the rest of the calf’s that are in contact with this calf with vecoxan and any sign scour Dirty tails Scour on the ground treat fast with vecoxan and bimistat If necessary. Last year when I would walk into the creep all I would be looking for first was scour on the ground. Treat the offender immediately with vecoxan nailed every time. Don’t second guess just do it don’t wait to see how he is in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Had it in a calf here at beginning of year while they were still inside.
    Vet gave me chanox - 2 doses over two days and used bimadine powders after a day or two to help dry the calf up, 1/2 packet at a time in litre of water

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Have a read of the instructions for Vecoxan use. There's no need for daily dosing and it could well be damaging. I view Vecoxan, Baycox and their generics as prevention rather than cure.
    There is some good advice-through-experience above, but you'd be wise to talk to your vet.
    Electrolytes are good, possibly essential.
    Antibiotic cover for pneumonia is wise.
    Sulpha powders are the treatment, talk to your vet for dosage instructions. Package recommendations may not be adequate.
    Look to doing in-contacts with a preventative drug immediately.
    There is husbandry advice to be followed depending on whether they are in or out. Your vet will advise.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod:
    With my mod hat on, I suggest this might be a good time for folks to review what it says in the charter about veterinary advice:.

Specifically:
    Offering Treatment:

Discussion of over-the-counter medicines is fine. For the more day-to-day conditions treatments can be discussed, but specific (POM) antibiotics should not be prescribed. Mentioning previous similar experiences, particularly where veterinary help was sought, or suggesting supportive therapy or preventative methods is fine. For serious or uncertain conditions, suggesting a treatment is not allowed and will be subject to infraction.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BFMadden

I lost a six month old weanling from this last week. She was caught late and was passing out intestinal lining and blood, even though they are herded every day. Vet gave sulpha powders and injection into the vein. A few days of powders and a few days later an IV but she died anyway.

I always give them vecoxin at around 20 day old, will do the lot of them this weekend with it again. About ten years since we had it here.

Well lads an update my calf has died this morning had the vet a out a couple of times he said twas a 1 in 10k case of the calf not responding to the meds I was giving bimatrim, brown bran don't know proper name for it,
    Kaolan powder. A pain injection every second day and electrolytes. The vet gave a drip yesterday aswell so that's it anyway he said theres alot of it going around. As a first case in a long time tis a killer to see a serious ch calf go..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I had a Dec 2019 Bull get it last week. At least that's what I think it was. One packet of sulphur powder every day for 2 days and also have worm/ fluke does of allbex. He's still thing but scour gone completely.
    I do them all at a month old with vecoxan.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
Advertisement