Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chlorine free detergent

Options
  • 20-08-2020 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

We have been using Circodine P containing chlorine to wash the milking machine. This morning was the first time we used a chlorine free detergent. We used Jetster on the milking machine. When we rinsed the machine with water after washing there was slight foam and bubbles and it took a lot of water before this went away. I was just wondering is this normal with all chlorine free detergents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I use 3 detergents
    Unisan one powder
    Divosan osan liquid
    Hypral one.
    The only one I have slight problem with foaming is the divosan. It's nothing major. Are you using the right rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Used deosan liquid cip detergent and osan acid/descale over 6 weeks tbc and thd crept up
    And fatty deposits built up on tank and thru parlour this despite doing 1 hot washes daily on milk machine and checking and double checking that application rates and water temps were correct.prior to switching I did one maby 2 hot washes per week
    I switched to ark farm innovation products and did a deep clean (manually on parlour )7 weeks on them now tbc/thd both fine doing 2 hot washes per week and there acid and detergent bare considerably cheaper than deosan products

• Registered Users Posts: 49 morclc

whelan2 wrote: »
    I use 3 detergents
    Unisan one powder
    Divosan osan liquid
    Hypral one.
    The only one I have slight problem with foaming is the divosan. It's nothing major. Are you using the right rate?

Ya I used the right rate of powder. Is it normal to have foaming with chlorine free detergents? I use peracetic acid in the final rinse. When I start the following milking and rinse the machine before milking the foaming and bubbles are still in the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭cute geoge

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Used deosan liquid cip detergent and osan acid/descale over 6 weeks tbc and thd crept up
    And fatty deposits built up on tank and thru parlour this despite doing 1 hot washes daily on milk machine and checking and double checking that application rates and water temps were correct.prior to switching I did one maby 2 hot washes per week
    I switched to ark farm innovation products and did a deep clean (manually on parlour )7 weeks on them now tbc/thd both fine doing 2 hot washes per week and there acid and detergent bare considerably cheaper than deosan products

Pm sent onto you there

Milk recorder was here today. She was saying there's a lot of trouble with scc this year and some lads are blaming the chlorine free detergent as they have never had a problem before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

morclc wrote: »
    We have been using Circodine P containing chlorine to wash the milking machine. This morning was the first time we used a chlorine free detergent. We used Jetster on the milking machine. When we rinsed the machine with water after washing there was slight foam and bubbles and it took a lot of water before this went away. I was just wondering is this normal with all chlorine free detergents?

Rinse three times after milking and before the detergent starts washing.

If there's the slighest trace of milk left in the lines. The wash starts to foam.

Last test tbc 4. Scc 146.

Chlorine free since March no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

whelan2 wrote: »
    Milk recorder was here today. She was saying there's a lot of trouble with scc this year and some lads are blaming the chlorine free detergent as they have never had a problem before

Would that be because a mastitis causing bacteria in the machine is surviving. Plenty of hot water is important.

mf240 wrote: »
    Would that be because a mastitis causing bacteria in the machine is surviving. Plenty of hot water is important.

I dont know. I am kind of goosed here as tank washes before morning milking every morning, so water doesn't heat up as hot as it should for machine washing

Do most people have three lines in the bulk tank - detergent, peracetic acid and descaler? Or is having two lines with detergent and peracetic acid in every wash enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

morclc wrote: »
    Do most people have three lines in the bulk tank - detergent, peracetic acid and descaler? Or is having two lines with detergent and peracetic acid in every wash enough?

You'll need 3 lines with chlorine free. The chlorine free detergent, the descaler and the peracetic acid sanitiser lines.

And you HAVE to wash out the detergent line before you switch over to chlorine free.

You also need plenty of hot water for washing. We put in a reservoir and pump earlier this year and piped it to the water heater because the mains pressure is so low here.

• Advertisement

You'll need 3 lines with chlorine free. The chlorine free detergent, the descaler and the peracetic acid sanitiser lines.

And you HAVE to wash out the detergent line before you switch over to chlorine free.

You also need plenty of hot water for washing. We put in a reservoir and pump earlier this year and piped it to the water heater because the mains pressure is so low here.

With certain products u don’t need all these hot washes and chemicals far cheaper and most importantly they work ....adding all these paracetic and hot washes brings more expense and in typical Irish fashion no extra cent per litre reward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Everything I've seen so far emphasises the need to use lots of hot water at 80 degrees to cater for the less effective chlorine free detergent. I've seen a few say their detergent is better but I've not seen any independent research on it as yet, j.

Everything I've seen so far emphasises the need to use lots of hot water at 80 degrees to cater for the less effective chlorine free detergent. I've seen a few say their detergent is better but I've not seen any independent research on it as yet, j.

Accept that but products I’m using from ark and many others are as well are working and with out the need for paracetic or every day hot washes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm using one hot wash and then about three cold washes after that with the same detergent mixture.
    Give or take two days for each change of detergent mixture.

Available for researchers to visit. €100 a pop. :D

Would anyone recommend a good descaler for the milking machine or do they all work the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

With certain products u don’t need all these hot washes and chemicals far cheaper and most importantly they work ....adding all these paracetic and hot washes brings more expense and in typical Irish fashion no extra cent per litre reward

I'm using a hot wash every day. Avalkasan gold and reusing it cold in the evening. I then rinse the machine before the following milking so the acid is still in the machine. I also use peracitic acid in the 2nd half of the wash before I put in the acid. Worked well for me on a 3 day collection all winter. Use different product on the bulk tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Using Ark CF on bulk tank and happy with results.
    Not changed to CF on milk machine yet. Is it same product?
    When you say deep clean manually on parlour what exactly are you referring to here.
    Was this just a once off to sort problem that was there or something you need to continue to do with Ark CF.

Advertisement