Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route Planner

Options
  • 19-08-2020 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Can someone recommend a route planner that would cover dirt roads?

Map My Ride doesn’t seem to work and Komoot won’t do the roads I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

OpenStreetMaps is the most comprehensive site/app for roads, trails etc that I've found, but it doesn't allow for creating a route directly

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/51185/how-to-draw-travel-routes-on-osm

The above link seems to discuss methods of doing this.

I've used OSM to find the roads etc I want to cycle, then used Garmin connect to create the route. You can deselect the option in connect to snap your rout to roads, so that you can draw the route anywhere on the map. A bit of a faff, but I actually enjoy the planning aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Can someone recommend a route planner that would cover dirt roads?

Map My Ride doesn’t seem to work and Komoot won’t do the roads I need.

I find kamoot does pretty much every navigable route even those on restricted paths. You have to do a fair bit of dragging around and setting way points if it's really off the beaten track.

It may make no difference but have you tried changing the ride type to gravel?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭event

There's a route planner in Strava if a subscriber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I find kamoot does pretty much every navigable route even those on restricted paths. You have to do a fair bit of dragging around and setting way points if it's really off the beaten track.

It may make no difference but have you tried changing the ride type to gravel?

Thanks, yeah, it made a difference at first, but some of the “roads” I know for sure are there don’t appear.

event wrote: »
    There's a route planner in Strava if a subscriber

Thanks. Rather not pay for it tbh. I may just revert to Osi map.

Shame cos I’d like to share it with people. I guess I’ll just have to ride it and then download the File

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Plotaroute

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks. Rather not pay for it tbh. I may just revert to Osi map.

Shame cos I’d like to share it with people. I guess I’ll just have to ride it and then download the File

The Strava route planner isn't great if your going places that are not roads and not well used I have found

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Plotaroute

Thanks, I had tried that. I like the workablity of it, but it still doesn't cover paths I need.

Thing is, these roads are actually on Google Street View, just not on these apps at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Thanks, I had tried that. I like the workablity of it, but it still doesn't cover paths I need.

Thing is, these roads are actually on Google Street View, just not on these apps at all.

Have you tried ridewithgps.com?.

You can choose your map overlay, the cycling one shows up lots of tracks but you do need to toggle through them at times.

Sometimes where satellite shows track but map doesn't you may have to turn off "follow road" and draw section of route.

Sometimes modern new cow roads in dairy land show up on my garmins preloaded map.

Have you tried ridewithgps.com?.

You can choose your map overlay, the cycling one shows up lots of tracks but you do need to toggle through them at times.

Sometimes where satellite shows track but map doesn't you may have to turn off "follow road" and draw section of route.

Sometimes modern new cow roads in dairy land show up on my garmins preloaded map.

Thanks, same again.

I appreciate all the help guys, but I think I need to go back to OSi maps and work it all out the old way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

CramCycle wrote: »
    The Strava route planner isn't great if your going places that are not roads and not well used I have found

I've found that if you have the heatmap turned on it shows up off the beaten track places quite well, have a look at the curragh with it on and off for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks, same again.

I appreciate all the help guys, but I think I need to go back to OSi maps and work it all out the old way.

OpenStreetMaps are as good as OSI maps, with the advantage of being able to change layers.

If you know anyone who is a teacher, they might be able to get you access to the digital OSI maps on scoilnet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've used ridewithgps a fair bit at this stage. Only once did it send me up what appeared to be private property (and while I certainly don't take a locked gate as meaning no right of way, I had no way of proving it either way). I do occasionally toggle between map views, including satellite.

I mapped a road route last week and it irritated me as it kept plotting off the main roads onto the back roads. I don't recall it being like that before - not to the same degree anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

You can get OSI maps on ViewRanger. Web based route planner, then synch to phone.

Advertisement