Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee machine

Options
  • 19-08-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi folks my nephew wants a coffee machine for 21st budget is 200. Not a Nespresso. I am clueless. Saw a delonghi icona on arnotts for 200 but no idea if that’s any good or what. Would appreciate any links to ones that u use and would recommend. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Luck nephew but you won't get a half decent espresso machine for that sort of cash unfortunately and you would need a grinder on top of that anyway.

Would he consider a grinder, aeropress and a nice selection of coffees?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

Luck nephew but you won't get a half decent espresso machine for that sort of cash unfortunately and you would need a grinder on top of that anyway.

Would he consider a grinder, aeropress and a nice selection of coffees?

I’m sure he would. I’m clueless as the nice barista makes mine. Would you have any recommendations please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Aeropress is Aeropress, usually somewhere between 30-40 euro (35 from most Irish roasters)

I can recommend a Baratza Encore (because I own one after following recommendations here based in a similar budget) grinder which you should be able to find for about 150 if you shop around, and it's a good electric grinder for aeropress.

buy some coffee from the roasters you get the equipment off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I'd say if said nephew wanted an aeropress for sure he would have asked for one. It also must be considered what type of coffees does the recipient want to make; if cappuccinos, then aim to get one that can make them.
    I don't know about that delonghi, I only know couple of ppl who bought delonghis around 300 EUR. But ... just seeing Argos do a delonghi motivo at 99.99 - maybe you can compare features/reviews between the two ?!?

Not sure who established the budget - if from OP, then OP might also consider giving a one4all voucher and let the recipient buy what he prefers (with additional top ups, other vouchers even)
    - I'd also suggest let the nephew deal with the grinder / beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

mvl wrote: »
    I'd say if said nephew wanted an aeropress for sure he would have asked for one. It also must be considered what type of coffees does the recipient want to make; if cappuccinos, then aim to get one that can make them.
    I don't know about that delonghi, I only know couple of ppl who bought delonghis around 300 EUR. But ... just seeing Argos do a delonghi motivo at 99.99 - maybe you can compare features/reviews between the two ?!?

Not sure who established the budget - if from OP, then OP might also consider giving a one4all voucher and let the recipient buy what he prefers (with additional top ups, other vouchers even)
    - I'd also suggest let the nephew deal with the grinder / beans.

The 200 budget is mine. That’s what I give for that birthday. I asked what he wanted and that’s his response. Don’t think he knows himself what type he wants. But thanks so much for responding. I will go back to him with your replies

• Advertisement

yeah talk to him again, tell him you've done research and that a 200 quid coffee machine by itself won't be any good to him really

could be he's asked someone else for a grinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

TBH, the ki probably just wants a pod machine

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

There is a Gaggia Baby with all bits and bobs including a Grinder on done deal/adverts ATM.

€140.

Will do everything he needs and is a good start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If you're splashing 200 notes of the nephew you don't want rock up with second hand equipment though.

I wish I was his nephew

I also wish I was 21 again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Mythago

I have a Delonghi Dedica: https://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/coffee-machines/espresso/delonghi-dedica-pump-espresso-coffee-machine-metal.html

I'm happy with the results and purchase freshly ground coffee from the local roaster.

Have never used the frother so can't comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Maybe nephew or another relative can add €150 to get this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001EOMZ5E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oLivFb4B8FRNH

Or €100 to get this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LB8FHJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1NivFbYNC1D34

Both are Bean to Cup, so very easy to use. Both get great reviews on boards.

Advertisement