Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky - Legal Method To Bypass Loyalty Punishment

Options
  • 19-08-2020 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello,

If you're a loyal customer of Sky TV Ireland it seems you are punished for it.

I'm wondering, if a customer of 20 years, with an old sky box that doesn't even have HDMI ports on it :eek: as it's that old, and a satellite dish that is really rusty, cancels their contract by giving their 31 days notice, and then signed up again 1 day after the contract is ended, would be allowed to please?

Legally I see no issue in this as they've been out of contract for years now, and as such a long term loyal Sky TV customer, they are punished by not being allowed the deals of today or the newer equipment and functionality such as recording, apps, etc without massive charges beyond what new customers pay.

If this is illegal, then can another household member simply sign up in their name instead so? Surely this would be an entirely new contract with a new person, even if at the same address as previously.

Normally companies try to retain loyal customers but it seems to be able to use the full Sky TV services as of today, they need to cancel and join a new. :confused:

Thank you for your time and thoughts on this.

Is it illegal to end a Sky TV contract and start a fresh one the next day? 28 votes

Yes it's illegal - don't do it!
    78% 22 votes
    No it's not illegal - go for it!
    3% 1 vote
    It's sort of illegal. Have someone else at the address sign up instead!
    17% 5 votes
    I haven't a clue! Pay a solicitor instead of asking Boards.ie!
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd be more inclined to tell them you are cancelling as the non hd picture quality is terrible for what you are paying and you are going with Virgin instead. They should offer new hardware or at least that worked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Ring up and look to cancel due to the cost in getting an engineer out to replace your dish etc.
    You will get a free call out and new equipment if your out of contact, i did it in January as my dish and lnb were on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Infinity Loop

Thank you for the quick reply.
    It seems they can't offer loyal customers outside of contract anything at all and want to charge hundreds to change the Sky box or dish. Madness! I got rid of Sky because they treated me like dirt, but they've had it for so long that they're unsure. I pointed out Netflix which they are starting to use more and more of. Hopefully they can break the Sky addiction.

Once I pointed out they were being screwed (Covid makes people look at their finances closer!) they are considering cancelling Sky. I think they should! But as an alternative, I wonder could they sign up again as a new customer and get a much better deal per month with all the new functionality (to them but recording has been out for a decade!).

billbond4 wrote: »
    Ring up and look to cancel due to the cost in getting an engineer out to replace your dish etc.
    You will get a free call out and new equipment if your out of contact, i did it in January as my dish and lnb were on the way out.

Sky won't budge for them it seems. You were lucky or maybe Sky are calling their bluff given the 20 years dependency.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sky won't budge for them it seems. You were lucky or maybe Sky are calling their bluff given the 20 years dependency.

You need to be assertive and fully prepared to actually cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hello,

I'm wondering, if a customer of 20 years, with an old sky box that doesn't even have HDMI ports on it :eek: as it's that old, and a satellite dish that is really rusty, cancels their contract by giving their 31 days notice, and then signed up again 1 day after the contract is ended, would be allowed to please?

Legally I see no issue in this as they've been out of contract for years now, and as such a long term loyal Sky TV customer, they are punished by not being allowed the deals of today or the newer equipment and functionality such as recording, apps, etc without massive charges beyond what new customers pay.

If this is illegal, then can another household member simply sign up in their name instead so? Surely this would be an entirely new contract with a new person, even if at the same address as previously.

Normally companies try to retain loyal customers but it seems to be able to use the full Sky TV services as of today, they need to cancel and join a new. :confused:

I don't think you have to go to all that bother.
    My bb/landline is up the end of September and I tweeted Sky and asked if there was any need for me to cancel then and sign up again as a new customer for their 'new customer' offer.
    The lad I spoke to told me to give the 30 days notice initially and then ring or tweet him a week before D Day and he'll give me the better deal.

You may have just got a jobsworth. Try again and you may get a better call agent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP, you brought the law into your post, by using the term legal/illegal, so now I need to give the standard warning that there is absolutely no giving of legal advice on this forum. If you want legal advice, your friendly neighbourhood solicitor is the place to go, not an online forum

And to be honest, in terms of the query you have, phrasing it in terms of legal/illegal may not be a good way to go. More helpful is the question; does Sky allow it, in relation to their terms and conditions? And my allowing the discussion to proceed I am doing so on the basis of your question being reinterpreted in the above manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

OP, I can assure you they will do deals for you. You have to actually all to cancel though and they will start offering you deals. Keep turning then down and insist in cancelling until you think they are out of deals.

Worst case, cancel in your name and sign back up again in someone else's name in your household, like your wife

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I don't think you have to go to all that bother.
    My bb/landline is up the end of September and I tweeted Sky and asked if there was any need for me to cancel then and sign up again as a new customer for their 'new customer' offer.
    The lad I spoke to told me to give the 30 days notice initially and then ring or tweet him a week before D Day and he'll give me the better deal.

You may have just got a jobsworth. Try again and you may get a better call agent.

Thanks! Yeah the one we spoke to previously said it was illegal to cancel sky and sign up again, and that they can see the same address is used. Interesting to hear that different agents have different policies! :rolleyes:

icdg wrote: »
    OP, you brought the law into your post, by using the term legal/illegal, so now I need to give the standard warning that there is absolutely no giving of legal advice on this forum. If you want legal advice, your friendly neighbourhood solicitor is the place to go, not an online forum

And to be honest, in terms of the query you have, phrasing it in terms of legal/illegal may not be a good way to go. More helpful is the question; does Sky allow it, in relation to their terms and conditions? And my allowing the discussion to proceed I am doing so on the basis of your question being reinterpreted in the above manner.

Thank you and sorry I wasn't aware of this requirement previously. I'm more used to another forum that allows this phrasing. But yes indeed you are correct, that if their terms and conditions have nothing to disallow the leaving and joining again to avail of better offers with Sky, I'd love to know. Tried reading some of it but it's long winded and seems to reference other terms not viewable on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Sky VIP gives you a free Sky Q box after 10 years..... why not avail of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

yet another post that has no understanding of "legal".

Maybe in North Korea that state runs the TV service and has laws on statute regarding services.

But this constant "is it legal" rubbish when it comes to terms of sale a private company issues is a lods of BSand frankly if someone came to me and state that some term in my business is "illegal", i'd laugh in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

What has the law got to do with this :D Their ads even mention in the small print new deals for existing customers puts them into a new 12 month contract, it's not a mystery.

You sign up with a good deal, deal ends, you forget you are paying too much / newer hardware comes out, you ring them you want the new deal / hardware, they agree. If they don't agree, you cancel and come back after a year with Virgin.

Hint: They always agree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks! Yeah the one we spoke to previously said it was illegal to cancel sky and sign up again, and that they can see the same address is used. Interesting to hear that different agents have different policies! :rolleyes:

Thats a sales plot/tactic to keep you as you are. They know your paying over and above what a new sign up will pay. As its been said, be assertive with whoever you talk to next. And push on the cancellation. If it means you cancel, new equipment and plan in your partners name. No illegality.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Hello,

If it's just the new Q box you want have you tried just asking them for it? If you get the My Sky App they also give away (or heavily discount) boxes on there for someone with the amount of tenure you have.

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Sky VIP gives you a free Sky Q box after 10 years..... why not avail of that?

Really?! That's interseting, thanks! I checked their account and it says they're a Gold VIP. Not sure of what the levels are. There was no option for this free Sky Q box though. Just a free movie. Perhaps it was a limited time deal as I couldn't find any mention of it across their site.

silver2020 wrote: »
    yet another post that has no understanding of "legal".

Maybe in North Korea that state runs the TV service and has laws on statute regarding services.

But this constant "is it legal" rubbish when it comes to terms of sale a private company issues is a lods of BSand frankly if someone came to me and state that some term in my business is "illegal", i'd laugh in their face.

Thanks for your comment. I'm not entirely clear from it though. Private companies have to follow the law for terms of sale, I thought... for example the distance selling law allowing consumers to cancel a sale within 14 days of purchase via phone or internet. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point?

What has the law got to do with this :D Their ads even mention in the small print new deals for existing customers puts them into a new 12 month contract, it's not a mystery.

You sign up with a good deal, deal ends, you forget you are paying too much / newer hardware comes out, you ring them you want the new deal / hardware, they agree. If they don't agree, you cancel and come back after a year with Virgin.

Hint: They always agree

Thank you, this is exactly what I thought! Treat Sky like I would my electricity or mobile phone bill, and sign up to a new contract every 12 months with a new deal, but apparently according to the Sky agent last time, it was "illegal" to cancel Sky and sign up again immediately. Hence my confusion.

GBX wrote: »
    Thats a sales plot/tactic to keep you as you are. They know your paying over and above what a new sign up will pay. As its been said, be assertive with whoever you talk to next. And push on the cancellation. If it means you cancel, new equipment and plan in your partners name. No illegality.

Thank you. This looks like what they'll be doing so! They were not so assertive like you said and left it with just the sales agent so will go further this time. Madness that they have to actually leave to get a box compatible to TV's today! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

If you want to save money/ get promotions you have to do a dance with utility companies.
    I do this every year and save 100€'s mainly I find out what deals other people are getting and so you know what you can get then push for that, the main thing that the consumer has to force a price reduction/promotion is cancellation and being out of contract ,and listening to terrible on hold music :-)

• Advertisement

ahbell wrote: »
    If it's just the new Q box you want have you tried just asking them for it? If you get the My Sky App they also give away (or heavily discount) boxes on there for someone with the amount of tenure you have.

They wanted €240 for a box with HDMI ports to work with the flat screen TV.
    The Sky box is so so very old that it only has one channel support, no recording or HD, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Just ring them to cancel. Let them be the ones to worry about what kind of deal you're going to get. They will offer plenty but you have to be fully prepared to cancel completely. Resist their first 'fabulous offer' and just say No, you want to cancel as they're too expensive given all the other options that are now available.
    I got two new boxes, a new dish and a cable ran through to another room like this for about a third of my previous monthly bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

If you are worried (you shouldn't be), they can change the name on the bill (from husband to wife, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Just ring them to cancel. Let them be the ones to worry about what kind of deal you're going to get. They will offer plenty but you have to be fully prepared to cancel completely. Resist their first 'fabulous offer' and just say No, you want to cancel as they're too expensive given all the other options that are now available.
    I got two new boxes, a new dish and a cable ran through to another room like this for about a third of my previous monthly bill.

Just to add to this, you may be transferred to the customer retention department on your first call, or you may have to wait until they get back to you (so the first call may just well be you having to tell them you want to cancel, and they will just accept it), but they will ring you back before the end of your notice.

That sounds fantastic! May I ask what year this was please? I'm wondering if Covid is going to cause them to lock down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Loyalty with any tv or broadband is foolish, not just with sky but with any of the TV internet providers.
    When your contract ends with one provider start a new contract with a new provider.
    You wont get as good as deal as a new customer being loyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The Sky box is so so very old that it only has one channel support, no recording or HD, etc.

Any chance the TV has a satellite tuner as well as a terrestrial tuner? If it has then consider going FTA (an aerial will be required for RTE/TG4/VM).

It's likely they mostly watch FTA channels anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Interesting, the inlaws got an email from them recently offering a Q box completely free of charge and they have much less tenure than you.
    Hi xxxx,

As a Sky VIP, you deserve the very best. So right now, we’re offering you an upgrade to Sky Q with absolutely no set up fees.

It means a massive saving of €149. And it's hassle free because you can keep
    your current TV package.

Upgrade today, then look forward to everything Sky Q has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

That sounds fantastic! May I ask what year this was please? I'm wondering if Covid is going to cause them to lock down a bit.

It was Feb / March of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just tell agent you want to upgrade to SkyQ and ask what sweeteners they have going.
    I signed up the SkyQ,Sky BB and Sky Phone for less than I was paying, since then have kept the SkyQ and switched BB and home phone twice

Advertisement