Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a shelving unit on a thin wall

Options
  • 19-08-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Went to drill into wall, hit something that looks like metal so I obviously cant drill in any further. Hole is about 1.5 cm deep now but i need at least double that to get a wall plug and screw in. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,222 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Water pipe? Gas pipe? Metal joining plate of some sort? What kind of wall? Any nearby services? Need more information.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

By thin wall I assume you mean stud wall, so it's probably a metal stud. Is it a relatively new house?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭listermint

awec wrote: »
    By thin wall I assume you mean stud wall, so it's probably a metal stud. Is it a relatively new house?

could be conduit.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Use toggles or anchor bolts

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jimbev wrote: »
    Use toggles or anchor bolts

Pretty bad idea to try fix that into a conduit.

More info needed. Simply as that. Could be any other options suggested so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Mellor wrote: »
    Pretty bad idea to try fix that into a conduit.

More info needed. Simply as that. Could be any other options suggested so far.

It's very unlikely to be metal conduit in a domestic install. It's more likely to be a metal stud particularly if it is an apartment or newish build.
    The best thing to might be make a small hole around where the metal is. It will be covered by the shelves anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

aido79 wrote: »
    It's very unlikely to be metal conduit in a domestic install. It's more likely to be a metal stud particularly if it is an apartment or newish build.
    The best thing to might be make a small hole around where the metal is. It will be covered by the shelves anyway.

It’s more likely to be a stud but without more info it’s pretty idiotic to assume it’s definitely a stud and smack a fixing into it.
    OP is way too vague to recommend anything.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s more likely to be a stud but without more info it’s pretty idiotic to assume it’s definitely a stud and smack a fixing into it.
    OP is way too vague to recommend anything.

That's why I suggested cutting a small hole to see what the metal is. Anything else involves guesswork.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If it's a metal stud like I suspect then it'll be a pain in the arse trying to hang anything off it.

Advertisement