Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking to be Self-Employed vs PAYE in new job

Options
  • 19-08-2020 3:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

I'm self employed at the moment, set up my own firm at the beginning of the year as construction consultancy service.

New job offer where I'm going back to work for a firm. They employ maybe upto 500 employees, I'm guessing 95% of people are PAYE..

Is there even any point asking? They've an international presence.

Just with the new salary offering I saw that I'm losing a third of the salary to tax. The salary is about €15K better off than what I paid myself but I'm actually only better off by about €20 per week.

On pensions - employee can contribute 3-5% and employer will match 3-5%.
    Is there anything to say I can put in more? Or do I have to put anything in at all? I'm in my 20s so I don't see the bigger picture but it is free money I guess.

They contribute 10% towards Laya but I won't be bothering with that.

One guy I know who was in self employed with a consultancy said it was an absolute ball ache staying on top of his returns and admin, are you actually much better off i.e. would you be saving yourself up around €10K or am I dreaming..

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭CiboC

Being an employee or not is not something you can just decide - you are or your aren't. There are a number of tests you can check to see if it's an option for you.

Check revenue.ie for a list, if you start through the list it will be very obvious in the first few questions whether you are self employed or an employee.

Advertisement