Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a New Shed

Options
  • 18-08-2020 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm currently thinking about building another shed for Sheep. Not sure if I'll go 47 x 30 or 60 x 30. Going to start pricing sheds this week, but there is so many variables and was wondering what people would recommend based on their own experiences.
    Grant Spec Sheeting or not?
    Timber vs Steel Purlins?
    Non-drip sheeting or not?
    Is vented sheeting worth it?
    Mass Concrete vs Block walls?
    For ventilation, should I use spaced sheeting or leave a space between sheeting and walls, or maybe a ridge cap?
    Many other variables that I cant think of. Would like to know exactly what I want before I start pricing sheds. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

Hi all, I'm currently thinking about building another shed for Sheep. Not sure if I'll go 47 x 30 or 60 x 30. Going to start pricing sheds this week, but there is so many variables and was wondering what people would recommend based on their own experiences.
    Grant Spec Sheeting or not?
    Timber vs Steel Purlins?
    Non-drip sheeting or not?
    Is vented sheeting worth it?
    Mass Concrete vs Block walls?
    For ventilation, should I space out sheets or leave a space between sheeting and walls, or maybe a ridge cap?
    Many other variables that I cant think of. Would like to know exactly what I want before I start pricing sheds. Thanks.
    I would say go as big as your budget stretches. I’ve never heard anyone with a shed built wishing they made it smaller!! It probably wouldn’t cost a huge amount extra to go from 47 foot to 60 foot as you will just go from 15’9” bays to 20’ bays. Same amount of uprights and trusses, just longer purlins and a bit more sheeting.

Have a look at the grant specs to get an idea for layout, ventilation etc. You should be aiming for as close to the grant spec as possible, it is generally the best design/structure. Normally a 15’9” bay would be timbers and when you go to 20’ it would be steel.

When it comes to mass concrete over blocks it’s mass concrete every time. By the time you lay blocks and plaster them the cost is equivalent to mass concrete and you have nowhere near the same strength. With a mass concrete wall you can push off it with a loader when cleaning out dung etc with no worries.

It’s probably just about too late to look at applying for the grant as you would be cutting it tight for planning permission and getting your grant application in before the grants close down which I think is due to happen on 31st December this year. If you thought there would be no issues with planning you would still make it if you act fast. The grant is well worth it as generally speaking it’s hard to find any way of getting someone else to pay for over half of what you want to build! You will have the usual lads telling you the grants are not worth it “with all the extra paper work and cost” but these are generally lads that either don’t qualify for the grant or built a shed without even looking into the grant and therefore know nothing about what they’re talking about. Unless you have a contact somewhere that you can get materials for cost price and are able to make and erect the shed yourself then the grant route always works out far cheaper and you have a far superior end product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Theres a piece in the farmers journal from a few years back about a polytunnel for sheep. It looks a fine job and for the price it looks very well.
    idk if you can view the link you need to have a journal account

link

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

DBK1 wrote: »
    I would say go as big as your budget stretches. I’ve never heard anyone with a shed built wishing they made it smaller!! It probably wouldn’t cost a huge amount extra to go from 47 foot to 60 foot as you will just go from 15’9” bays to 20’ bays. Same amount of uprights and trusses, just longer purlins and a bit more sheeting.

Have a look at the grant specs to get an idea for layout, ventilation etc. You should be aiming for as close to the grant spec as possible, it is generally the best design/structure. Normally a 15’9” bay would be timbers and when you go to 20’ it would be steel.

When it comes to mass concrete over blocks it’s mass concrete every time. By the time you lay blocks and plaster them the cost is equivalent to mass concrete and you have nowhere near the same strength. With a mass concrete wall you can push off it with a loader when cleaning out dung etc with no worries.

It’s probably just about too late to look at applying for the grant as you would be cutting it tight for planning permission and getting your grant application in before the grants close down which I think is due to happen on 31st December this year. If you thought there would be no issues with planning you would still make it if you act fast. The grant is well worth it as generally speaking it’s hard to find any way of getting someone else to pay for over half of what you want to build! You will have the usual lads telling you the grants are not worth it “with all the extra paper work and cost” but these are generally lads that either don’t qualify for the grant or built a shed without even looking into the grant and therefore know nothing about what they’re talking about. Unless you have a contact somewhere that you can get materials for cost price and are able to make and erect the shed yourself then the grant route always works out far cheaper and you have a far superior end product.

Thanks for the informative reply. I’ll price both sizes anyways, but I haven’t a huge budget to spend on the shed so I won’t be going for a grant. It is my father who built all the sheds we have here and he would agree with you about mass concrete walls but I was thinking I’d save a few pound on the walls as I’d be building them myself in my own time. I’ll keep your advice in mind anyways, Thanks again.

Theres a piece in the farmers journal from a few years back about a polytunnel for sheep. It looks a fine job and for the price it looks very well.
    idk if you can view the link you need to have a journal account

link

Thanks. I was looking into them a few years ago and they seem great value for money but I wouldn’t be convinced they’d suit here as we are on an exposed site. I’d be thinking the shed could be used for machinery and/or cattle when I’ve the sheep out, and a tunnel wouldn’t really suit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm adding a bay to an existing curved roof shed at the moment. Doing all the work myself. No concreting as all in place already. Sheeting on top & 2 sides, timber trusses and 2 uprights & end truss coming to €1700 so far. Materials are expensive when you total them up.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

I'm adding a bay to an existing curved roof shed at the moment. Doing all the work myself. No concreting as all in place already. Sheeting on top & 2 sides, timber trusses and 2 uprights & end truss coming to €1700 so far. Materials are expensive when you total them up.

What spec sheeting are you going for?

What spec sheeting are you going for?

It's Corrigated Polyester Green (Juniper) 0.6mm. Cover width 1067mm. €8.50 (plus 23% VAT) per meter length.

From Newell in Oranmore, Galway.
    http://www.roofingproductsireland.com/corrugated/4591237008

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

It's Corrigated Polyester Green (Juniper) 0.6mm. Cover width 1067mm. €8.50 (plus 23% VAT) per meter length.

Thanks, think I’ll buy the whole shed of halcon but I’ll have a look at that website. Will you put spaced sheeting up? I’m considering it myself but I’d imagine too much rain would get in. Have vented sheeting on some of the other sheds my father built but wouldn’t be convinced by it either, so I’m tempted to try a different form of ventilation.

Thanks, think I’ll buy the whole shed of halcon but I’ll have a look at that website. Will you put spaced sheeting up? I’m considering it myself but I’d imagine too much rain would get in. Have vented sheeting on some of the other sheds my father built but wouldn’t be convinced by it either, so I’m tempted to try a different form of ventilation.

I'm putting 2 uprights outside the existing yard wall and will sheet down outside the wall. There will be a space then between wall and the lower 6" x 3" timber. I'm trying to keep it simple. Shed is on a hill so plenty of exposure to west winds.

I'm putting 2 uprights outside the existing yard wall and will sheet down outside the wall. There will be a space then between wall and the lower 6" x 3" timber. I'm trying to keep it simple. Shed is on a hill so plenty of exposure to west winds.

Best of luck with your extension and thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Plus you can reconfigure very easily.

I've a preference for peaked roofs instead of curved - dangerous to work on if you need to replace a sheet or do anything on them. Might even be able to throw some panels on them in future - always look to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

gave €6.80 plus vat for 0.55 sheeting last week . meter coverage, per linear meter

Advertisement