Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full overlay hinge for >20kg door

Options
  • 18-08-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm trying to design a cabinet for a cubby-hole and I intend on mounting a TV on a hinged door (to allow infrequent access to hidden shelves behind). My door design will use reclaimed wood on the surface and I wish this to either be be flush-mounted with the wall or approx 3cm out from the wall ('floating').

To support the load of the TV and the door, I estimate that the door weight will be around 20kg's with a door width of 1m (TV mounted into the middle of the door).

Naturally the overlay is causing the design concern as I can't seem to source drawings for hinges showing the allowable depth of the door (ie 14/18mm) and as a result I'm not able to work out how to support the doors at the wall.

What recommendations would you make around supporting such a door and sourcing full overlay hinges to take this load?

I can knock-up a drawing of my plan if that helps.
    Many thanks for input on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm trying to design a cabinet for a cubby-hole and I intend on mounting a TV on a hinged door (to allow infrequent access to hidden shelves behind). My door design will use reclaimed wood on the surface and I wish this to either be be flush-mounted with the wall or approx 3cm out from the wall ('floating').

To support the load of the TV and the door, I estimate that the door weight will be around 20kg's with a door width of 1m (TV mounted into the middle of the door).

Naturally the overlay is causing the design concern as I can't seem to source drawings for hinges showing the allowable depth of the door (ie 14/18mm) and as a result I'm not able to work out how to support the doors at the wall.

What recommendations would you make around supporting such a door and sourcing full overlay hinges to take this load?

I can knock-up a drawing of my plan if that helps.
    Many thanks for input on this.

You could go for some heavy duty hinges like these. They are rated for 40Kg, better to over engineer than have your TV on the deck :) I would be inclined to use something like ≥ 18mm plywood as a backer for the reclaimed wood for rigidity and to mount your hinges to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ok, thanks for that link. I found full-overlay hinges there too and they also include full drawings:

https://www.eurofitdirect.co.uk/collections/heavy-duty-concealed-hinges/products/sugatsune-clip-on-heavy-duty-full-overlay-hinge-95-deg
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1403/2071/files/HFB0140_2a013ad0-1be9-455d-ad4d-e99c8015b333.pdf?12167103887344656385

That's exactly what I need. I might have to go with 12mm plywood as a backer, as otherwise I won't have clearance for the depth of the reclaimed wood (~20mm) and backer.

I've also just realised that due to my design, I'll need 6. That will make the hinges more than the price of the materials. oh well! lol

Advertisement