Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Raleigh pioneer to comfort bike

Options
  • 18-08-2020 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi can anyone give me tips on what kind of handlebars I should get to convert my Raleigh Pioneer Tour to more of a comfort bike?

I bought it impulsively after years of not cycling and being a woman now (and not a waif any more), I'm finding it not particularly comfortable.

I will definitely be changing the saddle also but the issue is mostly posture, I just feel the handlebars are too far away. I was quoted €85 to get it done in my bike shop and am trying to save expense by doing myself as it doesn't seem a big job....maybe I'm wrong?

Have seen some options on adverts for €10/€15. I don't want to be completely upright just need something a bit more relaxed.

Any tips much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hi can anyone give me tips on what kind of handlebars I should get to convert my Raleigh Pioneer Tour to more of a comfort bike?

I bought it impulsively after years of not cycling and being a woman now (and not a waif any more), I'm finding it not particularly comfortable.

I will definitely be changing the saddle also but the issue is mostly posture, I just feel the handlebars are too far away. I was quoted €85 to get it done in my bike shop and am trying to save expense by doing myself as it doesn't seem a big job....maybe I'm wrong?

Have seen some options on adverts for €10/€15. I don't want to be completely upright just need something a bit more relaxed.

Any tips much appreciated!

Its hard to say without pictures and sizes but here are a few tips that might help:
    - how stretched out is your leg when your in the saddle, it may be slightly too high, you need a bend in the knee even at the bottom of the pedal stroke and your foot should remain horizontal, so you may have room to lower your saddle a bit, which will in turn bring you closer to the handlebars.
    - How far back is the saddle, is there any leeway in moving it forward a bit
    - I looked at the Raleigh Pioneer, so the stem is an adjustable quill stem, you could loosen it and raise it a bit (not too much as it will make the steering twitchy).
    - the handlebars look like moustache bars, if you change to straight bars, they will be further away again and if you change to drops you might have to change your shifters/brakes which will be expensive.
    - if the handlebars still feel really far away, is it possible you bought a bike that was imply to big for you, there might not be much more to do

Can you put up photos or confirm this si the bike your talking about: https://moransbikeshop.ie/products/gents-hybrid-bike-raleigh-pioneer-tour-crossbar

• Registered Users Posts: 5 abbeyschool

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its hard to say without pictures and sizes but here are a few tips that might help:
    - how stretched out is your leg when your in the saddle, it may be slightly too high, you need a bend in the knee even at the bottom of the pedal stroke and your foot should remain horizontal, so you may have room to lower your saddle a bit, which will in turn bring you closer to the handlebars.
    - How far back is the saddle, is there any leeway in moving it forward a bit
    - I looked at the Raleigh Pioneer, so the stem is an adjustable quill stem, you could loosen it and raise it a bit (not too much as it will make the steering twitchy).
    - the handlebars look like moustache bars, if you change to straight bars, they will be further away again and if you change to drops you might have to change your shifters/brakes which will be expensive.
    - if the handlebars still feel really far away, is it possible you bought a bike that was imply to big for you, there might not be much more to do

Can you put up photos or confirm this si the bike your talking about quote]

Thank you for your reply.
    Yes that's the one in the link. It's the 17". I'm 5 foot 6 so it should be the right size I think?
    There's a little movement possible for the saddle but not much, I have experimented with that. I definitely need a sprung saddle with a wider seat, I'm sort of hoping if I get the right saddle/handlebar combo right it will work.

I'll try explain better about the posture issue. When I was younger I always cycled with a lot of weight on the handlebars. I don't find this posture comfortable now as my wrists hurt, so I've been trying to sit back a bit. The problem when I do that on this bike though, is I don't feel like I have enough control steering and my arms are too straight.
    I hope that makes sense.

Advertisement